Sign in to follow this  
justcallmedrago

What do *you* think of GLut??

I think Glut would be great for creating cross platform demos. would this make it so i'm not really doing any work myself by letting glut set up my window? because i dont think the window is *the* most important part of a 3d program. also it really looks like glut does just that and only that; it doesn't take all the coding out of openGL, right? i want to make sure i'm making a good decision. any input would be appreciated! justcallmedrago

CadetUmfer    234
I use it for quick demos on Linux, because I haven't had the time to learn GLX or w/e yet. It does it's job well enough.

I'd be interested in any benchmarks etc though.

Mushu    1396
Personally, I think GLut is terrible, for a variety of reasons. IMHO, SDL is a far more suitable library for making your OpenGL applications cross-platform. I think it boils down more to personal preference, and I've gotten into arguments where it was claimed that GLut can be made to do anything (window-management related) that SDL can.

Just try a bunch of things, and stick to what works best for you.

Ravuya    135
GLUT can do a bunch of stuff, but it's not getting updated very often. I use SDL; it's well supported across the three platforms I have to support and I have a lot of experience with it. The accessory libraries (SDL_image, SDL_mixer) are good for the most part, as well.

Stuff like joystick management, audio management and threading are handled in SDL where they certainly aren't in GLUT. However, SDL is missing some of the user-interface features of GLUT (right-click menus, etc).