Good Level Editor?

Started by
8 comments, last by ShotgunNinja 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello All, I am currently finding a good level editor for may game engine. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I would like to be able to add any custom object in this level editor. Also, I would like to import/export my own engine format in this level editor. Any recommendation? Thanks!
Nachi Lau (In Christ, I never die)www.sky-dio.com/Nachi
Advertisement
DeleD.

I love it.

www.delgine.com

There is a free version (non crippled), and a pay PRO version that costs about 50$ and has some more advanced features. It works in raw polygons, and can import a few 3d formats. So you can add any objects you want. It doesn't do entity placement though, but it's very good for creating the raw geometry.
You might also want to try the new Torque Constructor tool, which produces standard CSG maps.

You only need a GarageGames account to get it; you do not need a license of Torque. I've been fiddling with it myself.
I always wanted to keep the amount of work from Content creation -> Game/engine as short as possible.

Then i threw in a ~500€ and bought XSI|Softimage. I've never regretted this step.
So my current "Level editor" is probably the best modelling program out there. ;)
I just love the dotXSI file format with all the nice features for animation/shaders/etc... which just fits perfectly what i need.

good luck!
Quote:It doesn't do entity placement though, but it's very good for creating the raw geometry.

how would we put entities into the maps we make with this?
Quote:Original post by Oni Sephiroth
Quote:It doesn't do entity placement though, but it's very good for creating the raw geometry.
how would we put entities into the maps we make with this?
make your own program? Make cubes and tag them with an entity name (that's how it was done in another editor I used).

Try 3D World Studio (open-source, any game), QuArK (open-source, made for Quake), or Hammer (free with purchase of Half-Life 2 over Steam, made for Half-Life 2). I personally prefer 3D World Studio, because it has a lot of easy-to-use features and a good collection of exporters, and it's just made better. I'd compare it to Maya, but I won't go that far.

EDIT: It doesn't have entity placement, though. But you can do that from scripts. For example, the game I'm making using the Torque Engine (speak of the devil) has a built-in mission editor and gui editor, which can place entities in the mission file. Because that's all the Torque 'maps' are, is collections of Unicode-scripted objects (editable in Notepad) that declare positions, transformations, trigger events, and linked data files (including the links to the *.ter Terrain file and the *.dif Map files). If you want to see what goes into a 'mission editor' (object placement system) as opposed to a 'map editor' (brush/light placement), download the Torque Engine and open up the source code for the editor, and check it out.

[Edited by - ShotgunNinja on May 9, 2007 8:58:36 AM]
Quote:Original post by ShotgunNinja
Try 3D World Studio (open-source, any game),

I dont believe 3D World Studio is open source.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Best Free Game Level Editor.
Getic 3D

You can add your own entities by a plug-able definition text file.
You can write a plugin to export import in your format .
Sample plugin-dll's (export/import) are published with moge package.
Quote:Original post by soconne
Quote:Original post by ShotgunNinja
Try 3D World Studio (open-source, any game),

I dont believe 3D World Studio is open source.

Oh. Sorry. My mistake.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement