iPod music player + Linux laptop = help

Started by
10 comments, last by T1Oracle 16 years, 11 months ago
My sister has an old laptop that she uses mostly for e-mail and MS Offices stuff and as of late she has had trouble getting online and it doesn't run XP quite as fast as it did 98 (or was it ME... either way it's old). So I suggested she switch to Ubuntu Linux, but I forgot that she has an iPod so now we need a solution for using iTunes. Currently I see 3 options 1) A separate windows partition - she only has a 20gb hard drive, I think her iPod holds more, plus dual booting will probably frustrate her since is is a technophobe. 2) CrossOver Office 5.01 - It sounds like a hack to me, I hope it's stable and secure. I don't know enough about it. 3) Banshee 0.12.1 - This is new to me too, but it looks like simple. I just hope that it won't confuse my sister, although she is a smart lady with a masters degree. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.
Programming since 1995.
Advertisement
4) Burn your iTunes music to audio CD. Rip the CD's to MP3 and find another source of new music. Like any of the music stores that offer MP3 music. Or simply buy CD's. iPods aren't a probelm with Linux. iTunes still is.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Thanks, although I disagree with using CD's. I'll keep doing my research.
Programming since 1995.
Well, burning iTunes music to CD and then re-ripping is the only legal way I know of to get your music out of iTunes. There are other ways to get the music out but those generally run afoul of the DMCA and thus can't be discussed here.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

If her iTunes collection is all mp3s/unprotected AAC, then it's no big deal moving it to something like tex9's xTunes and copying it to the iPod. In fact, in this situation you could just plug in the iPod and copy the MP3s off its internal hard disk.

If it's protected AAC (i.e. bought from the iTunes Store), the only way I know of to get around that is to burn it to a CD (or a CD emulation device) and then re-rip it, which sucks.

You can run iTunes under WINE pretty well (you can "authorize" up to three computers, I think), but I don't know how well the iPod synching works in that situation. This is pretty much your last ditch option.
I would suggest trying out Banshee. It works fine for me and its similar to iTunes... of course that means no iTunes Store (damn!) and no DRM stuff (no biggy?).

There is also Rhythmbox, but it has the same limitations
^ Thanks, and none of her stuff seems to be DRM crippled.

Unfortunately, I now have a new issue with Linux Ubuntu.

I posted the following on a bug reports forum for Ubuntu
Quote:When I try to install Ubuntu 7.04 on my Compaq Presario 1700T Pentium 3 with 128MB of RAM laptop, it fails. When I select install from the menu it shows the loading Linux Kernel progress bar. Once that ends the screen turns blank and text shows up saying something about "known BIOS problem" and "non-recoverable error." This message disappears quickly and gets replaced with a blinking cursor that does nothing.

The same thing happens when I choose to check disk for errors. However when I try it on my desktop, it runs fine and says that there are no problems with the disk.

She took her laptop back, so I can't work on it until she brings it back. Not that I would know what to do. She needs to buy a new one, but I think she's holding out for a good new one. Although she did just buy a car.
Programming since 1995.
Did you try other Linux Live CD's as well on the laptop?

<hr />

No, I had to burn 4 CD's of Ubuntu just to get one that was good. The last disc (the one that worked) was burned on my brother's PC. So it may be my burner, although I'm getting my new system in 2 more days.

Regardless, it was a hassle getting Ubuntu on disc. I don't know what else I should try.
Programming since 1995.
Find out the make/model of your motherboard and the model/revision of your BIOS. Then Google. You can also post here and I'll see if I can find something.

<hr />

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement