woho, got it working :)

Started by
25 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello! I've managed to get my isometric "engine" working. It uses z-buffer for sorting and as a bonus I get OpenGL lighting :D The program uses ordinary 3D boxes which are mapped with my hand-drawn isometric graphics. I then arranged the boxes texture coords and the 3D view to align with my isometric perspective. The graphics are just temporary but I think the result is quite pleasing :) Thanks to JTippetts for pointing me in the right direction. /Cheers [Edited by - O-san on July 5, 2007 1:49:36 AM]
Advertisement
wow great work!
The power of 3D graphics card!

Years ago I worked on something similar to this (in 2D), for the game Revenant. It calculated the lighting based on normals stored with the graphics. It used highly optimized asm code to do the lighting (on a 300 Mhz pentium).

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Thanks! I think the lighting can become a bit better looking. The objects has no defined normals so they are probably all zero. When I assign normals the high pilar sould for instance be alot darker because it is in front of the light. With this technique it should even be possible to implent shadow mapping.
Better normals and a "behind the scenes" look :D

[Edited by - O-san on July 5, 2007 1:03:31 AM]
your lighting could still do with a bit of work but thats really nice what you have so far!
Thank you! I'm planing on an option to do the lighting in a shader. That will make it look a bit better.. but the quality of the lighing depends much on the material properties and the light source settings.
Just wanted to share my updates on my isometric project :) The newest additions is blending, animation and view zooming. Left to do is scripting, saving and loading of map and resources, NPCs, audio...

Cheers! :)

[Edited by - O-san on July 5, 2007 1:00:36 AM]
I am truly amazed. Ive never seen isometric graphics attempted like this and the results are very pretty indeed. KUDOS x 100. I cant wait to see where this goes.
I think this is superb...

I myself have been working on a 2D isometric engine... and I still have not obtained the result I want.

Map generation is still a big issue for me. I have issues with the layers. I have still not implemented them. The base layer works ok, so far, but it can be improved.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Even after reading a lot on isometric engines, I have not managed to come up with something really good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement