Sign in to follow this  
Zanshibumi

Victory of the fittest (design plan) v:10052007.a

This is the current design. Feel free to discuss any point. Last update: 10/05/2007 .choice of programming language and structure. .race/bloodline/clan customization. - Description: Turn-based strategy, fantasy empire building, game. The default turn will be one day, but game hosts will be able to choose arbitrary intervals (one week, ten minutes, etc...). * example: Civilization, Risk. - "Character" creation structure: Players will be able to create races and bloodlines or join a race/bloodline built by other players. The combination of race, bloodline and clan will make the complete description of skills/abilities/powers of the player's clan when the game starts. * example: A player registers, creates the Gnome race spends points in giving them bonus magic restoration on all their units (and a huge lot of other customization. Think Stars! race creation). creates the Death bloodline, spends points in giving them necromantic buildings and units. Creates for himself the CorpseDancers clan. The next time he joins a game he can play the CorpseDancers, a clan of the Death gnomes. Other players will be able to build other gnome bloodlines, or even create their own Death Gnome clan to play. - Customization: Every race will have a separate 3D model for each unit, for the tower. They will start with default models but anyone will be able to upload a model of their own. Bloodlines will have the chance of uploading custom textures, so for the same race model different bloodlines can have different "skins". Clans will have the chance of uploading a custom banner. *example: If someone builds the Ogre race and wants to make the models for the units he can leave open the race for new entries so anyone can make new ogre bloodlines using the same models. - Game structure: Games will be created with a starting time, turn time limit, etc... People join and as the starting time arrives the game starts with whoever is online. Each turn players play their strategy, build things, cast spells, create and move units, etc... Between turns the engine calculates the result of any interaction between players, fights are resolved, spells that affect others do so and alliances start having their effect. - Interface: 3D hexagonal (I'm starting to have my doubts about this), isometric view. Terrain is flat; mountains, rivers, etc. are a representation (Civ). - Technology: aspx+js for lobby, race creation, game organization etc. XNA + C# remoting C+S for the game itself. - Help needed?: I don't know. As I start building things I'll see if there's something I'm not good enough at to even make a passable solution (3d modelling is a clear candidate). - Further ideas that need more thought: ·Single player. Even if only to try a RBC before entering a game with it. ·RBC characteristics' cost depending on use, so popular characteristics become more expensive as more people use them and viceversa. to avoid having to balance myself the huge amount of options I plan on including. ·Some animation. [Edited by - Zanshibumi on May 10, 2007 1:18:45 AM]

the idea sounds interesting, especially about creating "pre-made/chargenned races, clans, etc).
My only fear here is that most poeple would want to create their own race/clan and use similar stats to previously made ones as you described..thus "spamming" your database with similar entries?

Quote:
Original post by Maebius
the idea sounds interesting, especially about creating "pre-made/chargenned races, clans, etc).
My only fear here is that most poeple would want to create their own race/clan and use similar stats to previously made ones as you described..thus "spamming" your database with similar entries?

In another thread Derakon and I discussed precisely the same. The idea is that entering an already built race has diplomatic advantages.

If three races start a game (for 9-12 bloodlines total hopefully) and someone enters as the lone representative of a new race he would need amazing diplomatic skills to survive the first couple of turns.

Also, people creating races and bloodlines just for the sake of it is what would make me happy. I'll elaborate in a separate post.

the other thread:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=446922

[Edited by - Zanshibumi on May 10, 2007 1:01:02 AM]

My one comment to start out is that this game does not need fancy graphics, and in fact, if it's going to be web-based, then you'll be suffering a nasty performance hit by going to 3D. I'd recommend working first on getting the game mechanics working, before you start concerning yourself overmuch with the graphics.

I do like the model/skin/banner thing, though. And you can easily replicate that with 2D pixel art. Just scan the submitted image, split out the different colors used, and let people do palette swaps to do bloodlines.

Edit: web-enabled is entirely different from web-based.

Quote:
Original post by Derakon
My one comment to start out is that this game does not need fancy graphics, and in fact, if it's going to be web-based, then you'll be suffering a nasty performance hit by going to 3D.

I don't do it 3d to get better graphics, I do it because I'm much better at it (less bad).

I could have the 3d engine render the images, show them by web and let the player control them in js, etc... But again, my experience with remoting is much more extensive.

So, I'll do it in a .net app that will push away many casual gamers just because it will be easier and faster for me.