is celeron in the x86 family?

Started by
15 comments, last by TheUnbeliever 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I want to make an OS but the only extra comp that I have besides this one (which I don't want to mess up if the bootloader fails or something) is an old celeron machine. I was wondering if I could write assembly code for x86, and use it with a celeron chip. Thnks.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
Type "celeron" into google and be enlightened [smile]
If you have to post here to find the answer to that question then I think writing your own OS may be a bit ambitious.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by mattnewport
If you have to post here to find the answer to that question then I think writing your own OS may be a bit ambitious.

lol sorry, yr rite i should have googled first, im just used to getting a straight answer from Game dev, btw writing the OS is totaly ambitious for me :)

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Frankly, I wouldn't even bother writing the OS for a real PC. It is so much easier to simply write and test your OS for a virtualized PC first, and then bother with the real hardware once you get it working on the virtual hardware. Far fewer headaches this way.
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
Frankly, I wouldn't even bother writing the OS for a real PC. It is so much easier to simply write and test your OS for a virtualized PC first, and then bother with the real hardware once you get it working on the virtual hardware. Far fewer headaches this way.

Actually I might consider that, so something like Virtual PC 2007 from MS will do fine?

Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
Quote:Original post by Mastaba

Actually I might consider that, so something like Virtual PC 2007 from MS will do fine?

It will; however, I'd suggest you look into Bochs. It's an alright emulator -- it's a little slow, but it's also open source (which is genuinely useful; it's the one open source program where I've actually modified the source -- to give more information about the state in the debugging mode, and to give more useful information on panics) and can be compiled as a debugger. In general though, all emulators differ from each other and from real machines. It's a good idea to test on a variety of real systems, in addition to a variety of emulators. Just be prepared to spend days trying to get your code to work in all your test environments.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
Hi, I want to make an OS but the only extra comp that I have besides this one (which I don't want to mess up if the bootloader fails or something) is an old celeron machine. I was wondering if I could write assembly code for x86, and use it with a celeron chip. Thnks.

Yep, it's like a handicapped little brother of the x86.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

since were on the topic of OS dev i might as well ask the question here instead of starting a new thread..
How can I call a kernel from the bootloader, the strange thing is, theres plenty of tutorials on how to make a boot loader, and how to make kernels but none show how to actually load one from another, any extra tutorial sources are welcome, (I get most of the info from osdever.net). Thanks.

Quote:
How can I call a kernel from the bootloader, the strange thing is, theres plenty of tutorials on how to make a boot loader, and how to make kernels but none show how to actually load one from another, any extra tutorial sources are welcome, (I get most of the info from osdever.net). Thanks.

Just jump to the address you load the kernel at. If you are in pmode,
you need to add the seg selector as well (Useually 08h). ie:
[BITS 32]; set up stack...; pmode jump to kerneljmp 08h:01000h

If the kernel (or second stage loader) was loaded at 0x1000:0,
execution will continue from there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement