Screen Flickering

Started by
2 comments, last by Cornstalks 16 years, 11 months ago
I've made a Mandelbrot Set, and it works great on my computer. But when I tried to show it to my math teacher (who used to teach programming), the screen went crazy and flickered like none other. The program is written in C++, uses OpenGL and double buffering. I haven't implemented Vertical Sync as I'm not sure how, but even if I did know how I'm not sure it would fix the problem. Both the teacher and I are using Windows XP. I have an ATI Radeon x600 256mb Hyper Memory video card, but I'm not sure what he has. Also, I've got some static text boxes, some edit boxes, and a push button that are all children of the window that is being rendered to. I can see and use them just fine on my computer, but on my teacher's computer, they are visible for half a second and then enveloped in the screen's flickering and disappear. What could be the problem, and how can I fix it? I can post all the source you want, but there are about 20 files (this includes the files for a little engine that I've made that I'm linking to).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
I haven't implemented Vertical Sync as I'm not sure how, but even if I did know how I'm not sure it would fix the problem.

It's enabled by default so that's likely not an issue. He may not have fast enough video card to handle you app. Did you ever test it on a machine that wasn't yours?

-me

I doubt his video card isn't advanced enough, because I only calculate and render all the pixels only once there is a change (like a change in window size, you've zoomed in somewhere in the fractal, etc...), and so the calculate and render functions get called once. SwapBuffers() is being called each loop though.

I've tested it on my second computer and it worked perfectly fine. My second computer has an ATI video card too.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
bump...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement