Sign in to follow this  
luke101

The most popular new programming languages

I am thinking about writing some tutorials on python and Ruby on Rails and paying someone to write tutorials on 4 other emerging programming languages. Do you guys think its worth spending $2000 to have someone wrtie a full quality tutorial on Lua it will be mostly for the newbies that are beginning to learn how to program. What programming languages would you guys like to see a tutorial on?

Two thousand dollars? For stuff that's already freely available, or available in book form for about thirty dollars?

Of course, most of the time when I buy a programming book I always find myself surfing on the internet to find an answer to an easy question and most of the time many books don't have the answer. There has been many times I would rather do a google search then search through endless pages in a book. What do you think?

Promit, he's talking about paying the author - and the author of that $30 book got paid more than 2k to write it.

It's a perfectly good idea. In fact, I'll write all of them.

Please send the list of topics with the check.

Quote:
Original post by Deyja
[...] the author of that $30 book got paid more than 2k to write it.
Likely, but not by much. An author is paid in royalties (and any and all upfront advances will be recouped from the royalties). The author might get 10-15% in royalties of the wholesale price. The wholesale price is what a reseller pays for the book, which is around half of the list price. So, a $30 list price is roughly $15 wholesale. At 15% royalties (which is high), the author would get around $2.25 per copy.

A book of this type will sell a few thousand copies, on average, over its lifetime. Say it sells 2,500 copies, then the author would make $2.25 * 2,500 = $5,625.

Take out the costs to write the book (materials, etc) and the income tax that the author would have to pay and you might look at a profit of around $4,000 for the author.

Just like in games, only a few select books go on to become bestsellers and earn their authors a good income.

I know. I am an author myself.

But you are still completely wrong. Royalties are secondary - the author would still have received a lump sum up front. Of differing amounts, depending on the book and the publisher. In the case of a $30 book only expected to sell a few thousand copies, assuming the publisher actually wanted to take such a thing, about 2k. The author would receive royalties on top of that, but not until the total sales surpassed some threshold. The end result is somewhat higher than with royalties alone. Now, one of those thick $70 books - those can make you some money. 10k advances aren't uncommon. But if you want to be rich, write fiction. Lots and lots of fiction.