Sign in to follow this  
Gumgo

Help! Hundreds of errors!

My project was going fine until today... I was coding just like normal and suddenly hundreds of errors popped up! They are all things like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(38): error C2039: '__non_rtti_object' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(38): error C2039: '__non_rtti_object' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(54): error C2039: '_Cvtvec' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(54): error C2039: '_Cvtvec' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(72): error C2039: '_Getcoll' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(72): error C2039: '_Getcoll' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(77): error C2039: '_Getctype' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(77): error C2039: '_Getctype' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(82): error C2039: '_Getcvt' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(82): error C2039: '_Getcvt' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(135): error C2039: '_Getdateorder' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(135): error C2039: '_Getdateorder' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(97): error C2039: '_Getdays' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(97): error C2039: '_Getdays' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(110): error C2039: '_Getmonths' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(110): error C2039: '_Getmonths' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(92): error C2039: '_Gettnames' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(92): error C2039: '_Gettnames' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(55): error C2039: '_Timevec' : is not a member of 'std'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo(55): error C2039: '_Timevec' : is not a member of 'std'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(36): error C2039: 'bad_cast' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(36): error C2039: 'bad_cast' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(37): error C2039: 'bad_typeid' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\typeinfo(37): error C2039: 'bad_typeid' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(85): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(97): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(85): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(97): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(76): error C2059: syntax error : ','
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(88): error C2059: syntax error : ','
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(92): error C2059: syntax error : ','
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(76): error C2059: syntax error : ','
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(88): error C2059: syntax error : ','
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\xlocinfo.h(92): error C2059: syntax error : ','
I have NO idea WHY these are suddenly appearing, I tried commenting out pretty much the whole program and I can't trace it to anywhere! What are these files used for, and why might this be happening? Help!!!

typeinfo.h is probably to do with RTTI and xlocinfo, I would guess, is something to do with locales.

I think it would help if you could post a minimal example of the code that causes all these errors. Upgrading to VC8 (via VC2005 Express for free) would be a good idea as well, if I'm reading your paths correctly.

Quote:

I was coding just like normal and suddenly hundreds of errors popped up!

You changed something.

The likely culprits, without knowing more, are an include file -- you've either added a new one, or left a trailing syntax error at the end of one of your own files that is included before a system header -- and/or you've made a change to the project settings.

For the former case, at least, you should examine your included files for common typos -- missing semicolons, forgetting to close (or closing too early) a namespace or class scope, missing #endif directive, et cetera.

If you can't figure it out, post the contents of one of your translation units.

All or most of the errors above were related to RTTI (runtime type information) in some way. I guess that you have somehow disabled RTTI in your compiler options.

-Riku

Sorry for the briefness of that first post, I wanted to get it in before I had to go to school.

Anyways, I tried commenting every file in the game and then uncommenting one at a time to see if I could locate where the errors were coming from. I think I found the file (Script.h) but the weird thing is that it doesn't give the errors if I comment out some of the #includes at the beginning of the script. I can't figure out which ones though because it seems that certian combinations of commented #includes do it but other's don't (maybe it isn't just one?). I also commented out all the newest code I'd written since before the errors but that didn't fix it.

The only thing other than code that I can think of is that before I went to bed last night, I tried compiling it once in release mode, then changed it back to debug. When I woke up... it didn't work.

I'll try some more to fix it when I can...

If you are using Visual Studio 7 or up and a precompiled header, try cleaning and completely rebuilding the solution. MSVS sometimes chokes when tiny bits change without affecting header inclusion.

I hope it's as easy as I think it is ;-).

I had a problem like that once... commenting out includes and blocks of code didn't seem to exhibit any consistent symptoms at all....

In the end, one of my headers had something like this...

#ifndef MYCLASS_H
#define MYCLASS_H

#include <something>

class MyClass
{
private:
int blah1;
int blah2;
public:
MyClass();
~MyClass();

void DoSomething();
};s

#endif

That 's' took me forever to track down. I'm sure I was trying to type in a URL or something in IE, but the focus was still in visual studio and I got a character off before noticing that I wasn't typeing in the address bar.

Ty for all the responses. I'll try a clean build (didn't think of that). If that doesn't work I'll check for little errors (like a ; left off), though I already did look around for those for quite a while, and the strange thing seems that if I have everything (in the entire program) commented out except for a few #includes in one area it still throws the errors (basically I'm thinking it isn't with my code)...

Okay, the errors don't appear if I comment out these:

#include "Loop.h"
#include "Renderer.h"

Of course, everything else doesn't work either and this isn't of much use because you don't know what is in Objects.h and Renderer.h. If I comment out just one or the other though, they still occurr.

The thing is... I'm sure I didn't change a thing in either of those files since last night, or this morning.

EDIT: This is REALLY starting to irritate me! I swear, I only worked a little bit on one part of the code, but now this keeps happening and I can't even figure out where it is coming from! I guess I'll try commenting out each function to see if it is caused by one of those...

EDIT: This must be what people have to do in hell... debug these problems. I've been following a "train" of files, letting it include only one other file at a time and "tracing" the order in which it compiles. The problem is... I hit a dead end. Is <vector> and <map> bad to include next to each other or something? Because it seems that if I randomly comment and uncomment different includes, it works.

OK this is getting even weirder... it seems that it MIGHT have to do with vectors and maps and multimaps. If I comment out those it seems to not throw errors!

EDIT: OOOOOOOKAY!!! The source of my problem seems to be <vector> and <map>!! If I comment out ALL <vector> and <map> includes it does not give those errors, but my game doesn't work at all of course! Why might this be!

I think my head is about to explode unless I KILLCOMPUTER

[Edited by - Gumgo on May 9, 2007 9:53:30 PM]