Sign in to follow this  
edgame

Web MMO (Is Flash and PHP enough?)

Hi, I've been invited to improve on a educational website and I'm toying with the idea of having e-learning within a MMOG (make school abit more fun). I'd like to have it 2D, with 4 directional player movement, quests, battles with NPCs, chat/trade system, mini games and a PVP battle arena. Something between Neopets and Dofus. Would Flash and PHP be sufficient to do the job? Any advice? I have experience with web and application programming but totally new to game programming. Thanks.

Is it enough? Yes.

Is it ideal? Probably not.

Club Penguin is Flash based, so apparently it works.

if you actually want real time interaction between players your going to needs something for a server application, java or c++ are good

Personally, I'd suggest that you research more into the technologies that you will be employing. PHP and Flash are fine, as long as you know the security risks associated behind those technologies. I really can't comment on security for PHP or Flash, but I'm damn sure I know how to crack my own C++ networked games before I write them.

Anyways, something to think about :)

For client-side, it doesn't really matter.

But for server, the preferred choices are somewhat more flexible or suitable languages.

PHP in its core is web page rendering language. While it's been adopted for other tasks, and can handle scripting, it's generally not valued too highly for anything beyond its original purpose.

Flash (depending on which parts and how you use them) is somewhat slow and too simple. It does the client-side job well, but I don't think it's suitable for anything server side.

The usual server candidates would be Java, C#, Python, C++, C. Reason for this is mostly their support and decent track record at such jobs. First 3 are more suitable due to being high-level, scalable and portable, whereas C++ and C will have you spending 80% of the time messing with various pointless details, memory leaks, concurrency issues, etc...

But even if you have some background developing client/server architectures, MMOG-anything is a lot of work. First, you're doing 2 things - client and server, then the artwork, the design, and everything in between. Add on top of that developing everything in a portable way since you're using two languages with no possibility of code re-use, and things start to look bleak.

Something simple can easily take 6 months of close to full-time work.

Wow, ok. Looks like I'll have to settle for Club penguin standard. I'm working alone and got to have it done before Dec. Thanks for all the wonderful advice!