Math and Physics books

Started by
9 comments, last by Seifsta 16 years, 11 months ago
Can anyone recommend some good books to learn the concepts of math and physics integral to game development? I'm looking for something that can start at an intermediate to advanced level of algebra and eventually get to some advanced calculus (I realize everything covered may not be necessary but I would like to learn the information anyways). Furthermore, I'm looking for a book that can teach me basic to advanced physics concepts, preferably devoted to game development but, again, I would also like to learn the topic area anyways. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Most physics books directly related to game developement I've seen tend to be pretty hardcore so if your calculus skills are rusty (or nonexistant) you'd probably be better off studying a regular physics or math book first. Game physics tend to be centered on kinematics and vector math(good keywords in google). Once you've got the basics there learning a bit of calculus and linear algebra will make reading a game physics book much much easier. I like math though so I might be biased in thinking you should learn all the math before working on the applications.
Here's a pretty good beginner book:

"Game Physics Engine Development" by Ian Millington

Also very, very good is:

"Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications", by James M. Van Verth and Lars M. Bishop

Has a good intro to basic game physics.
Quote:

This is actually an extremely bad book, so I warn of buying this one. All concepts are totally out of date. The author claims he did profssionally implement physic engines for about 5 years. I ask myself what he did in this time...

So if you want to learn about physics used in games look at the tutorial of Erin Catto and make sure you understand every detail in his Box2D example.

www.gphysics.com

[Edited by - DonDickieD on May 10, 2007 9:09:54 AM]
Quote:Original post by DonDickieD
Quote:

This is actually an extremely bad book, so I warn of buying this one. All concepts are totally out of date. The author claims he did profssionally implement physic engines for about 5 years. I ask myself what he did in this time...

So if you want to learn about physics used in games look at the tutorial of Erin Catto and make sure you understand every detail in his Box2D example.

www.gphysics.com

Hmmmm... ok...

While I may not agree with you entirely on this book, I DO agree with you on Erin Catto's work. I completely forgot about his Box2D example. Agreed. Kadic... you should go to gphysics.com.
Some Math Books, in recomonded order:
* Basic Technical Math with Calculus. -> Good book on how to apply the math learned, also has chapters on just working with fractions and factoring if you're rusty on those. I found the calculus stuff was easy to grasp in this book.

* Linear Algebra and Applications by Howard Anton. -> While working through the chapters on matrices and vectors in this book, every thing on 3D engines just clicked. I had an AH HA moment, and I actually implemnted a basic 3d software engine with the skills learned. After that the fundamentals of Direc3D and OpenGL were easy.

* Mathematics: A Discrete Introduction. -> Not really needed for gamedev, but for algorithms in general, this is a good book. Still working through it after 5 years of owning it.

Word of advice; if you actually get any of these books, stick with them and work through them. Don't let them just sit on your shelf. All three books will probably run you up 200 bux Canadian.

Good luck.
It's not at all game oriented but my high school physics text is pretty awesome:

Physics for Scientists & Engineers - Serway

It's a calculus oriented physics text (as they all should be anyway) so it won't really make a ton of sense unless you do the first couple chapters on calculus.

-me
I agree with Don: "Game Physics Engine Development" is one of the most disappointing books i've bought. you'd do better spending a week working over the available impulse-based methods/papers.
Read David Baraff's Texts on Rigid Body Kinematics... They'll probably fill you in for a year or something like that, and they are basically all you need as a start..
There is another column writer on game magazine, but I forgot the name.
[ my blog ]
I found Chris Hecker's articles to be very well done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement