Sign in to follow this  
MaliciousDigit

DirectX SDK April 2007 crashes a lot

MaliciousDigit    105
First i started with some code, trying to load a mesh from an x file. The program kept crashing on all but one of the example files. So i tried opening them in DirectX viewer. All .x files I tried crashed this application. I've heard that Managed DirectX is no longer supported, deos this have something to do with Microsoft releasing a half functional SDK? XNA seems more like it's for kids or game developers, should i just switch to it even though i'm not doing games? Anyone else having problems with this?

xsirxx    170
Managed DirectX is no longer supported? Man I need to catch up on news I guess. If yer having problems with DirectX I would post the problems.... there are very few problems with it, its mostlikely an issue u have... no offense...

There is no reason to move to XNA, just use MDX under yer Visual Studio 2005(is using 2.0) and go on with posting the problems and relevant code...

ViLiO    1326
Mananged DirectX 1.1 is still supported, it is just not (nor has it been for a long time) being actively developed.

As for the crashing, what exactly do you mean by "crashing". Are we talking blue screen here or just the app throwing an exception?

I have the February 2007 SDK installed myself and MDX 1.1 hasn't had any changes made to it in so long I would be very very surprised if it any part of the SDK relating to MDX 1.1 has changed between Feb 07 and April 07.

As for the XNA Framework, it is very possible to develop applications with it that aren't games. You can bypass a lot of the new functionality and work quite closely to the DirectX stuff underneath. It isn't as full of a Managed DirectX wrapper as MDX 1.1 and 2.0 Beta are/were, but by no means limiting.

Another thing I can recommend is keeping an eye on SlimDX

Regards,
ViLiO

jbarcz1    265

The latest release of the HLSL compiler dropped support for older pre SM2.0 shader models. A lot of the SDK samples used VS1.1 or PS1.1 as the default, and the crashing may be because these apps are ill-behaved. I have seen, for example, that the 'DirectX viewer' tool likes to crash because it uses an SM1.1 effect by default.

Lifepower    136
I have tried DX SDK April 2007 briefly, but shader compiler (fxc.exe) crashed a lot when I tried to compile effect files using SM2 shaders (where previous SDK works perfectly), so I uninstalled it. Let's hope they'll fix these bugs in the next release.

MaliciousDigit    105
Quote:
Original post by jbarcz1

The latest release of the HLSL compiler dropped support for older pre SM2.0 shader models. A lot of the SDK samples used VS1.1 or PS1.1 as the default, and the crashing may be because these apps are ill-behaved. I have seen, for example, that the 'DirectX viewer' tool likes to crash because it uses an SM1.1 effect by default.

Yeah, as soon as you said that i recognized the diagnostic message in the status bar of DirectX viewer before it crashes. What's the best way around this? Just use an earlier SDK?