Sign in to follow this  
Zotoaster

Variables at bytecode level

Zotoaster    148
Does it make sense to have variables with bytecode? It didn't really seem necesary to me until I came to 'for' loops. Apart from that, I think I'm fine without them. Besides, they sound like kindof a pest to create and put on the stack.

Ravyne    14300
A programming language, even a simple Bytecode interpretter, isn't much use without variables of some kind. If you're intending the bytecode only as a simple command language then you can get away without them.

Really they're very simple to handle. I wrote a simple command language for one of my early school projects (A text adventure) that simply had access to an 8k array. This allowed for enough control that the entire game was in the script, away from the engine. Those were essentially "globals" in terms of the script. There was no need for local variables, but they would have been easy enough to add.

I presume that you've got a return stack if your bytecode allows for function calls or any kind of looping structure. Adding a general-use stack should be simple.