[.net] MDX Books

Started by
2 comments, last by Mykre 16 years, 11 months ago
I was wondering if anyone could point me toward some good books for learning MDX. I am looking for a book that teaches me the basics while another one (or the same one if possible) to cover the advanced topics of the API. I have looked at Tom Miller's books but I have heard conflicting reviews for both, especially Beginning 3D Programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Well, both books are helpful if you want to learn MDX (I got them both myself). They might not be the best books ever, but the Kickstart one details most of the API, while the Beginning book helps you on your way coding games in MDX. The problem with the Beginning book is that the games may not be too complete or complex (and that it does repeat quite some info from the Kickstart book), but still I think it's a pretty good learning experience.

You probably already know about XNA so I won't spam you about that, but it is getting a whole lot more attention than MDX, both in terms of online resources as well as books.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by Kadic
I was wondering if anyone could point me toward some good books for learning MDX. I am looking for a book that teaches me the basics while another one (or the same one if possible) to cover the advanced topics of the API. I have looked at Tom Miller's books but I have heard conflicting reviews for both, especially Beginning 3D Programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's the books I used to learn MDX. Just make sure you get the updated code for the books at thezbuffer
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

I personall would not bother with MDX, the official line from MS is that MDX is dead and no longer being updated. I would start to learn the XNA Framework, at present there are several books in the works but only one that has been released. But you best bet to learning it is to drop over to the creators club site and start with the documentation and samples.

Next drop over to the IRC Efnet Server #xna Channel, once there ask away with your questions as we are all very helpfull there. You might even find one of the community projects that are being worked on by the guys there and ofer a hand with it.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement