is possible to make advanced games with C#?

Started by
26 comments, last by markadrake 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi dudes, So, i'm learning java, but i'm thinking in make a mmorpg (it's just a future project)... but i'm studying the technologies to know what is the best for this purpose... the game that i want to make is a MMORPG style, using OpenGL... so, i got a little of fear to learn C++ cause some friends talks that it's very hard. i'm fine with java, i understand well but since the language is very slow for make it i'm thinking in learn C#, but i don't know nothing about this language, someone can talk if is possible to do that using C#? or if it's not recommended and i sould learn C++ :O? tnx all and sry my worst english...
Advertisement
Uhm:

1) Java isn't as slow as most people think. (it is about as fast as .Net if you use the right compiler/VM and write sane code)
2) OpenGL works very well with Java, C#, C++ and a bunch of other languages
3) Both C# and Java can be used to make any game you can think of.
4) If you want you can learn C++ anyway, there are plenty of resources around for it.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
First off let me just say welcome to GameDev.net :)

Secondly, to ward off having a very unpleasant experience here since your new I would just search the gamedev forums and archives. Trust me, the question your asking has been asked hundreds if not thousands of times.

All I can really say is that a game is only as advanced as the person(s) developing it. You can create advanced games in java/C#/C++/Ruby/Python whatever.

XNA uses C# and there are already some "advanced" games being created with it.

Good luck tiagomac and remember that the search function is your friend :)

----------

For your viewing consideration: Wurm Online is a 3D MMO made in Java and OpenGL.

However I'd suggest you start with something smaller first...
C# is very capable of creating the type of game you're thinking of - as a_insomniac observes however the capabilities of the language are rarely anywhere near as limiting as the abilities of the programmer, so you'll need to spend quite a bit of time learning to effectively use the language you choose.

I'd suggest either sticking with Java or learning C# for this; you're welcome to learn C++ if you wish, but it can be very difficult to learn and work with and you don't need it.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm in the same situation as you, choosing a language to start learning for game development, having experience in Delphi and Visual Basic.

As far as I know, Java is (one of) the most portable languages and is as powerful as C++. However, I've also heard some comments about Java's "lower speed" because of the virtual machine it uses. C# might be a little easier than C++, and it also has some improvements. The following articles maybe interesting to you:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yyaad03b(VS.80).aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228358(VS.80).aspx

What convinces me about learning C++ is a huge amount of games already made in it (means that most of proffesional game developers prefer it). And that the game programming schools focus on C++ as a "base language" to teach implementation of game development technologies and tecniques. At least the academic programs of 2 schools i've examined proove it (the other ones don't mention any specific language).
Quote:Original post by Konstantin Vikhrov
What convinces me about learning C++ is a huge amount of games already made in it (means that most of proffesional game developers prefer it).

First, you're not a professional, so what pros use has little immediate bearing on what you use. Second, perhaps the pros use it because they have to, not because they prefer to?

Quote:And that the game programming schools focus on C++ as a "base language" to teach implementation of game development technologies and tecniques. At least the academic programs of 2 schools i've examined proove it (the other ones don't mention any specific language).

Game programming schools are mostly a sham. With determination and dedication, you can do far better - and then you can spend that money on hardware or software or art or music for your game, rather than tuition fees.

Make a game with what you know.
Dudes, tnx tnx tnx very much.
u guys removed me manny doubts in a few posts...
i read a little about XNA, it seems to be very good for game development, but in the site it recommend to use a GeForce FX serie 6 or better :O! then, a friend today tell me that C# is slow like Java :O! if it's slow like java and with my experience with java i can say that i can't do what i want (a MMORPG)in C# since in Brazil the guys don't have these strong Video Cards :(!
i'm lost in doubts :'(! i think that C++ will be very hard to me, other friend tell me to use C instead of C++ cause he said that C++ is very "disarranged" what u guys think about that?
Well you don't have to use XNA to render. You could use MDX, which is a more "direct" wrapper over DX9 or OpenGL through Tao. Both of them still support the old fixed function pipeline which would allow you to target older video cards, unlike XNA which requires shader support. Of course if you wanted to target pre-DX9 hardware you'd probably have to use OpenGL.

Edit: Oh and if someone tells you it's "slow", ask them if they've actually used it(for more than a few hours). If the answer is no, don't listen to them.
Whichever way you go, I recommend creating something other than a MMORPG at first (like someone else said, something smaller)

You will probably have to learn C++ anyway, simply because of all the documentation and tutorials are in C++ (XNA starting to get some more...)

And if you want you're game to run on systems other than Windows (and Xbox for XNA), you will most likely have to use C++.

And as long you don't make it too big, you should be able to write in about any language you wish (aka., not World of Warcraft or other big, high-intensity titles). C++ is known though for having a lot of power.

Java should work (I don't write in Java, so I don't know as much about availible libraries...). C++ takes a little bit of work (except during those all-so-rare times). C# should work fine (if anyone happens to read this, do you know if Visual Basic works with XNA? That's the main reason I backed off...)

My two cents.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement