what are the best compilers?

Started by
5 comments, last by Virtual X 16 years, 11 months ago
im learning c++ but I dont have a compiler. What are the best c++ compilers? free or compilers that I have to buy
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by alx123
im learning c++ but I dont have a compiler. What are the best c++ compilers?
free or compilers that I have to buy

Visual C++ .NET 2005 Express Edition is probably one of the best (ide + compiler).
DevCpp is also a good tool (ide+compiler)
Code::Blocks is a good ide too, and I think it's distributed with a compiler as well.

All these are free. So you have plenty of choice.

Regards,
The best can be gotten for free. Though you mean IDE not compiler. An IDE has a compiler & a debugger & a text editor plus a host of other features to help development.

Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition
for which you'll also need the Platform SDK

or

Dev-C++

Both are widely used, very good compilers, and great development environments. Google for DL links.

-me
MSVC++ 2005 (NOT 6.0) is in my opinion the best IDE/compiler available under windows. Seeing as the express edition is free and has been linked to you really can't go wrong with that. BE SURE TO READ THE DOWNLOAD PAGE - it describes how to download and setup the platform SDK which you'll need if you want to use the win32 api. If you get the error "unable to find windows.h" then this is what you forgot.

Dev-C++ is very old and isn't being updated - I generally recommend staying away from it. If you really don't want to use MSVC for some good reason (something other than "M$ is the suxxors") then this is probably your best option.
Microsoft Visual C++ Express and Dev-Cpp.

Dev-Cpp -> Tools -> Check for Updates/Packages.
My version has the latest Gcc compiler and Allegro and Sdl library.
Intel's C++ compiler is another option and is free for noncommercial use under linux:
The Intel C++ Compiler for Linux offers excellent compatibility with GNU C/C++ and most Linux software utilities and contains advanced optimization features to easily maximize application performance. The advanced optimization features of the Intel C++ Compiler for Linux include high floating-point performance, inter-procedural optimization, profile-guided optimization, and vectorization support for processor specific instruction sets on Intel® architecture.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I would recommend Code:Blocks IDE that comes with the GCC compiler. If your starting to learn C++ then learn the ANSI standard first then progress from there!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement