Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Coder

Windows to Linux learning curve switch.

I am writing all the subsystems for my 2d game. I'm using OpenGL for graphics rendering, and I'm using the SDL library for Input, Sound, Timing etc. I was wondering if the learning curve would lengthen the project immensely if I switched from Windows 2000 Professional to Some category of Linux like Red hat or Ubuntu ( I am thinking of using Ubuntu)? Does SDL even support Ubuntu or any from of Linux OS? If so would their be huge differences for both OpenGL and SDL on a Linux OS and the OS C++ compiler. Thanks

SDL and OpenGL should work fine on Linux, provided your code doesn't use large amounts of platform-specific stuff, assume the filesystem is case-insensitive, or do other silly mistakes.

My old article on multiplatform game development outlines a couple of the snafus that strike when porting between *nix and Windows.

Like rip-off said, both of those are cross-platform.

The learning curve will come more from the OS itself, if you aren't familiar with it. And, depending on what you're using for development, you might have to write a new makefile or something. If you were using all kinds of windowsy APIs (probably not, thanks to SDL), you'll have to migrate off of them.

Thanks also, how long would th learning curve take for learning Linux if I have never used it, I realize you cant get an exact answer since only i know how much i know, I don't care for an exact idea of how long just what the average person should take to learn it. Also would you prefer Ubuntu for programming, and game development or Ubuntu, or is their not much advantages?

Quote:
Original post by Mad_Coder
Thanks also, how long would th learning curve take for learning Linux if I have never used it, I realize you cant get an exact answer since only i know how much i know, I don't care for an exact idea of how long just what the average person should take to learn it. Also would you prefer Ubuntu for programming, and game development or Ubuntu, or is their not much advantages?

Linux takes a lot of getting used to, particularly the command line. But someone comfortable with computers will find it easy to get to a stage where you can work with it.

Linux is an excellent environment for programming, a base install usually includes a compiler but several interpreters and loads of extremely useful text processing/filtering programs, which can be chained together in highly useful ways.

Unless of course you are asking "Is Ubuntu a good Linux distribution?", to which I would answer yes. I'm not entirely sure what the last sentence of your post is asking. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Linux takes a lot of getting used to, particularly the command line.

Yeah. If you grew up using DOS this should be pretty easy to pick up. If not, then learning how to make a computer do everything without a mouse or icons to click on might be a tough first step. =)

But, basically, the process of installing *nix and get your dev environment set up will more or less teach you all the basics.

The actual coding is no different. Only the tools are different.

-me