Sign in to follow this  
Barcode711

Design - Automotive? Video Game Concept Art or Level Design? What design program?

Barcode711    122
Hi. I'm considering studying to be a designer, either automotive or video game. Right now I'm in grade 10. Unfortunately, I've already handed in my courses for Grade 11. Either way, while I do plan to learn how to draw on paper, I might be more (equally?) comfortable learning how to draw on the computer. I was considering a job in either. My reasons for considering automotive design is for possibly a better hours-to-pay ratio (do designers often get long work hours, like programmers?), a higher chance of recognition (maybe I'm very conceited, but I've always wanted to have some kind of everlasting recognition in the world, even a small amount, as long as it would be positive or at least neutral), and maybe a more favorable (to me) social environment. On the contrary, my reasons for considering a career in video game design are a more preferrable design subject (sure I like cars and having no gripes with the design of one would be cool especially if I had made the design, but drawing only cars all day every day?), the fulfillment of a small personal dream, and a much (read: 4 years probably) shorter schooling process. Now, I don't expect you guys to make the decision for me, but insights would be nice. Heck, I'm asking the same question on a car design forum soon, and should I hear what I want to hear, that point about the shorter schooling process could be negated, too. And lastly, not considering cost, what would be the best program to learn, satisfying both jobs' computer design requirments? Should I even worry about computer design if I would want to do concept art? Would I need to in automotive design? Yes, I know you should know a little about cars before you draw them, but wouldn't an auto course in highschool accomplish the same thing (also thanks to my parents, I didn't take one; true though, my dad could teach me all the basics about cars, but that can't go on your resumé, can it)? Would I really want to waste 4 years of my life being part of something I'm not exceptionally interested in (I loathe chemistry, which would definitely be part of engineering)? Would I even need to for that career? For the other alternative, would it make a decent amount of money? Really, any help would be nice. I haven't even bothered asking my parents about the game design idea, and they're pushing me to take some engineering course to go with a minor (read: they heard I would be interested in a automotive design career and they just went directly into looking at engineering) design course.

OrangyTang    1298
I'm not exactly au fait with the car industry, but I wouldn't expect an automotive design job would be anything like a game design job. I'd suggest you do some background research and find out what each job actually entails in detail.

Palidine    1315
"Design" in a game means the person who is figuring out what types of monsters are in the game, doing statistical analysis of combat number, etc. There is no parallel with a designer in the game industry and any position outside the industry.

However, it seems like you mean "3D computer artist" when you say "designer". I'd imagine the training would be similar for both industries. The automotive industry, however, would probably care a lot more about credentials. A major in industrial design is likely what you want for the automotive industry; designing a car is not just about aesthetics, it involves a fully functional understanding of how the mechanics of the car actually work. For a game you just make hollow shells and gives the illusion of functionality through animation.

However, an industrial design degree would probably adequately prepare you for a game art career. You'd probably want more art classes for the game job however: figure drawing, anatomy, etc; things that wouldn't be directly relevant for automotive design.

-me

JohnBolton    1372
I recommend that you choose what you want to do based on what you are interested in or what you feel you are good at, rather than on what specific job you might want. You don't have to worry about finding a job for at least 5 years, so it is way too early for that.

Don't worry about which "program" you need to learn. It is irrelevant.

Neither automotive design nor game design have much to do with chemistry or engineering.