Please help to convert instruction from ps 2.0 to ps1.4

Started by
6 comments, last by Mastaba 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I have a hlsl shader that works fine with ps2.0 compile, however I want a fallback for cards that only support ps1.4. The problem is a line that divides texture coordinates. "In.tex0.xy / temp". I understand that ps1.4 dosent support division and ps2.0 does? Is there any workaround? Thanks much for any help!
Advertisement
Can you pull 1/temp out to the CPU or vertex shader? If not then you can use tex2Dproj, which divides by the last component before lookup.
Thanks James, I appreciate your help, it may not be immediately apparent that I
am clueless!

I should have included the type of the variable "temp" is. The line can be
better written as "float2 temp2 = In.tex0.xy/In.tex.z". I looked at the
tex2Dproj function, but couldnt get it to work with these variable types.
If I could just convert this line for ps1.4 I would be done.

Perhaps I could include this line as Assembly?
Thanks again.
I'm not an expert, but I remember something about these .xy, .xz and other extractors might have been introduced with shader model 2.0. Maybe you can just replace that line with the following:
float2 temp2;temp2.x = In.tex0.x / In.tex.z;temp2.y = In.tex0.y / In.tex.z;

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Thank you Markus, but I get a "cannot map expression to pixel shader instruction set" error with that. It is the "/" (division) that is giving the problem. if I replace "/" with "*", then it compiles under ps1.4. But I need to divide and not multiply. It seems ps1.4 dosent support division :(

Unless you need to divide for the purposes of projective texturing (in which case you should look at tex2Dproj) you're out of luck - the ps_1_4 instruction set doesn't support floating inversion (or, equivalently, division by variables). On the off-chance that temp is a constant, if you mark it const, the HLSL assembler will hard-code it in as multiplication by the reciprocal, and everything will be tickedy-boo.

Is it possible for you to perform the division in the vertex shader? This would result in the values being interpolated in reciprocal-space, which may not work out, but if the modulus of continuity of the parameter over adjacent vertices is small, the error may not be noticeable.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
how about:

/*float dx = 1 / x_value;float dy = 1 / y_value;*/float2 texcoords;texcoords.x = IN.texcoords.x * dx;texcoords.y = IN.texcoords.y * dy;col = tex2D( texSampler, texcoords );

you just need to keep the instructions to a minimum, and the number of texture reads should be less than 4.
Quote:Original post by josiah7
Thanks James, I appreciate your help, it may not be immediately apparent that I
am clueless!

I should have included the type of the variable "temp" is. The line can be
better written as "float2 temp2 = In.tex0.xy/In.tex.z". I looked at the
tex2Dproj function, but couldnt get it to work with these variable types.
If I could just convert this line for ps1.4 I would be done.

Perhaps I could include this line as Assembly?
Thanks again.

I would suggest you change your vertex shader so that tex0 is in homogeneous coordinates and then use the tex2Dproj instruction in your pixel shader.

[Edited by - Mastaba on May 13, 2007 2:25:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement