Sign in to follow this  
Instigator

Questions on: OpenGL Tutorials

Alright so I'm a C++ programmer and I've been wanting to dive into OpenGl for quite a while now. The problem is that I don't have money to spend on a book so I'd be learning most of the stuff through online tutorials. I found the Nehe tutorials and then I noticed that they were made 10 years ago!!!!!! Hasn't most of the stuff changed since then? Like I was reading that on the first tutorial it said that it used "glaux" something that isn't used much these days and I'm sure a lot of the basics have been changed right?? I'd like to hear from the experts on what you think. I'm using Glut and I have no idea if that has any relation whatsoever to glaux. I would appreciated it if a few a you could guide me in the right direction.

How are some of you guys learning OpenGL?? Do you have any electronic resources that I can use? Please PM me if you could talk to me on msn. Maybe you have a book or two that can help me out?? I really want to learn this stuff!!!

Check out The Red Book. Is a bit old but free, and contains most of what you need to get learning.

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book/

The Nehe tutorials are still perfectly relevant and an excellent starting point. I second the Red Book suggestion as well. It will fill in a lot of the details of the concepts shown in the tutorials.