Best place to download 2D arts for a game ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Bearhugger 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi! I'm a young programmer who wants to start making his own 2d game ! But the problem is that I really suck in artistic work ! Is there some good places where I could find some free images and 2d artistic work to put in my game ? Thanks in advance ! Bob
Advertisement
There's a sticky in the Help Wanted thread, called "Having trouble getting art?" Provides some links to a couple of free 2D sprites and images. Worth a look.
Cool thx, there are a few good ones in there, any other website ?

Bob
There was a recent article on GameDev, which can be found here. It will direct you to a blog. The author there is offering free 2D art, which looks pretty good, though I don't know if it'll give you what you need. Elsewhere on the blog there is also this set of 2D art. I actually found that last link quite useful myself.
One thing you must be careful of when looking for free graphics on the Internet is that you want the graphics to have the same style, otherwise it looks weird and amateurish. You can't have one tileset that is drawn in a cartoon-ish style, one more realistic but with black outlines, one without black outlines and one that is photo-realistic. It usually helps to have all tilesets drawn by the same people, but free graphic packages that cover every setting you need are not very common. The graphics found on Lost Garden are incredibly well made, plus they are high-resolution, but with only a forest, village and inner setting, you don't cover half the locations you need. (Unless you're making a Tarzan game or something...)

I'm using the tilesets from the excellent FSF site for my 2D RPG. They are low-resolution, but they are the most "complete" package of free graphics I'm aware of. There a tileset for almost any kind of location for a game set in a fantasy setting. Although I only use the tilesets, there's more than just that. You can get many character sprites with their respective portraits. The graphics were originally made for RPG Maker 2000 but the license allows using it for any game or webpage provided credit is given. It is for low-resolution games, so if you use anything more than 320x240, it will not fit. Warning: the FSF site is mainly in Japanese. I'm lucky I can draw, so I make everything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement