Sign in to follow this  
udvat

OpenGL Diffusion limited aggregation

Any one of you modeled the coral reef structure in opengl applying "diffusion limited aggregation" ?

DLA for a system like the coral reef would produce volumetric data, which is often not that straightforward to visualise. I'd say you might be better served generating it in the same was as you might generate a tree. In that case you can make a tree structure which may be draw in a reasonably simple way. If you have your heart set on DLA then clearly it can be used... but I'd advise trying it in 2D. You may be able to more easily generate models from layers of 2d data rather than a truly volumetric representation. Also remember that volumetric data tends to be very memory hungry. Another questions is how much of a reef are you interested in? If you want a large region you are almost certainly going to have to be very clever about what is actually rendered and what isn't (ie a clever LoD method will be required). I think in the end you'll simply have to fake it. Coral is a fractal object and so you'll find a genuine representation will most likely make your system grind to a halt. You could probably follow the geomorph type LoD model whereby you blend between more and less "deep" branchings at various distances (and possibly make the branches proportionally wider to compensate for the lack of finer detail) and possible end with decals for distant objects.
Hope this helps,

Dan