Sign in to follow this  
deks

PowerPC emulation - any help

deks    209
Hi. I started working on a PowerPC emulator some time ago, mainly for learning purpose. I finally got all the instructions implemented (CPU and FPU, no Altivec/MMU support), and I'm at a point where I want to start executing real code. So what are my options? It's still fuzzy in my head what are the logical steps I should proceed right now: get a Mac ROM and start executing it (what about OpenFirmware?)? Also, I'll have to implement video and input devices at the very least, still have to find documentation about this... I'm aware of other PowerPC emulators like PearPC, SoftPear, PSIM, etc. that already do this, but as I said, it's for learning purpose and for fun. ;) Any help/hints appreciated! JF

outRider    852
I'm not sure what you want to start executing, but the simplest executable you can start running is a flat binary one. Write some toy programs and output a flat binary and see how far your emulator gets with it. Some compilers can output flat binaries directly, if you're using GCC I think you can use objcopy in binutils to strip the executables bare.

If you want to have your emulator boot a BIOS/firmware/operating system you'll need to have a lot more than just the processor's instruction set emulated; things like interrupts, the MMU, whatever bus architecture Macs use (PCI?), and so on. Have you gotten that far?

deks    209
Thanks for the flat executable hint, I'll start with this.

Still, I want to boot a bios/firmware/os later on. I was thinking of getting a linux bootdisk first, which shouldn't be that hard to find. The main thing would be to get a bios/firmware and emulate pci, etc. Anyone got specific infos on this?