More Power?

Started by
4 comments, last by hplus0603 16 years, 11 months ago
I’m rebuilding my PC to accept a 8600GTS video card and was wondering if I should keep my existing COOLMAX CX-350 or if I should upgrade to their 500w version? I got my 350 a little over 3 years ago now. The 350 has serviced me well these last 3 years so that’s why I considered this brand again. The system specs in full are: The Ram Video Card (The whole reason for doing this) Intel Motherboard The Processor Not shows in the list are 2 SATA drives, DVD Writer and a few case fans. I imagine its good enough but I’m not sure.
Advertisement
I'd play it safe. It would be a shame if, however unlikely, your PSU took out your lovely new rig in a puff of Magic Blue SmokeTM

Just my opinion, but if I invested that much in a new computer, I wouldn't object to getting a new PSU for it.
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
The system is going to pull about 120-200w - somewhere in there, the CPU is lower power and the video card doesn't need 6 pin power. The power supply I ordered was a 500w unit, is this overkill to the point where I'm not putting enough load on the PSU to make it function efficiently?

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189012
running a 1.8ghz Duo Core 2, 800mhz FSB. So much slower than what they're test system is.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/8600_gts/9.html
Quote:Original post by MrRage
I’m rebuilding my PC to accept a 8600GTS video card and was wondering if I should keep my existing COOLMAX CX-350 or if I should upgrade to their 500w version? I got my 350 a little over 3 years ago now. The 350 has serviced me well these last 3 years so that’s why I considered this brand again.

Hi MrRage,
I personally would make an investment in a higher qualiity PSU when using an 8600GTS.

I am thinking about future proofing really. I am going to get an 8800 GTS 640MB myself, so I am thinking of getting a 600w+ quality PSU.

I would reccommend:

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX here

or

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT here

if you in the US. The price may sound expensive, but you guys in the US can get the same components a for lot less than here in the UK.

I definately wouldn't skimp on the PSU, a quality PSU is a good investment.

Also, Enermax are considered a good make of PSU here in the UK, but I couldn't see any of them on the Newegg site.

Anyway, I would reccomend a 600w+ quality PSU.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Power supplies have a limited lifespan. Swapping it after 3 years, even though it works, isn't totally wasteful, it's just being careful.

And, while it might be possible to run your suggested system on 350W, I'd rather go over-specified and don't have to worry about it.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement