• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Command c

Needing Guidance

This topic is 4054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys I need some one to direct me in the right direction, I have never done any programming of any sought ever. So I was just thinking should I start of with C and learn as much basics as I can and then later on start with C++, or should I just start straight out with C++? I Know their is a lot of argument out their as which one is the best, but what is the easy for someone like me to actual start of with? [Edited by - Command c on May 12, 2007 5:46:51 AM]

Advertisement
This may sound like a cop-out, but the For Beginners page answers that and just about any other question you could be thinking of when starting off.

That page recommends starting with C/C++ for your language. Now days, though, it might be better to start with C#, which is powerful, adequate for game development, and serves as a good "gateway language" for C++ and others.

C# and .Net seems to be what the non-gaming industry is moving towards these days. I see a lot of job offers requiering those. The gaming industry on the other hand is still mostly about C++ and Python for tools and stuff. Thats my general impression anyway, not being a pro.

Quote:
Original post by pulpfist
C# and .Net seems to be what the non-gaming industry is moving towards these days...
Yeah, but so are amateur game developers to a significant degree. I only recommend C# because it's similar enough to C++ that it won't be too hard to make the leap later, and because it is still easy to work with the major graphics APIs.

Python is a good suggestion as well.

Just pick something and start playing with it. Try a few languages. There is very little overhead to get started with almost any given language.

Start right with C++, isn't that hard as many said and if you planned to be a pro is the best choice.

The gaming industry is always looking for C++ programmers.

Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
Just pick something and start playing with it. Try a few languages. There is very little overhead to get started with almost any given language.

Yep. Try a language out for a couple of weeks. All it will take is some download bandwith and a bit of time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!