• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sc4Freak

SSE woes

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been experimenting with SSE and SSE intrinsics in VS2005. But it seems that I just can't get my code to work. My initial test was to multiply a million floating point numbers by 2. VS2005's debugger gives me this message: "Unhandled exception at 0x00411488 in SSE2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00821008." Here's my code:
	const int Iterations = 100;
	const int DataSize = 1048576;
	float* FloatData = new float[DataSize];
	for(int i = 0 ; i < DataSize ; i++)
		FloatData = 1.0f;
	__m128 x;
	__m128 y;
	__m128 z;

for(int j = 0 ; j < Iterations ; j++)
	{
		for(float* i = FloatData ; i < FloatData + DataSize * sizeof(float) ; i += 4 * sizeof(float))
		{
			x = _mm_loadu_ps(i); // Breaks here with "Unhandled exception" error
			y = _mm_set_ps(2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f);
			z = _mm_mul_ps(x, y);
			_mm_storeu_ps(i, z);
		}
	}

Any ideas about what I've done wrong?

Advertisement
You don't need the sizeof(float) in your loop - adding an integer to a pointer advances the pointer by that number of elements, not that number of bytes. Your problem is nothing to do with SSE.

Whoops, how could I have made such a simple mistake!

Guess I should go over pointer arithmetic once more. [grin]

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!