• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
asdzxc

Autonomous Agents in a Virtual World

This topic is 4230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Much has been made of the ability of various modern robots to navigate through the physical world, how they can identify real objects and choose an appropriate reaction. Has anyone applied such techniques to a computer bot in a videogame? What I’m suggesting is to basically use a much simplified version of the software running these robots. Since we are dealing with a virtual space, the vision recognition algorithms could be made vastly more simple, as the computer can cheat slightly by all ready knowing the exact size, position and type of object it’s dealing with, all it needs to know is what it should be attempting to do, depending upon the game. I see this as being different from regular videogame A.I in a few major ways. The first is the area of animation, by employing an agent that is aware of its own body and the environment hopefully the same techniques (inverse kinematics ect) that allow a real robot to know how to move it’s arm in order to pick up an object, can be applied to the videogame. I’d love to see an A.I actually walk up to a table and place its hands directly and deliberately on the grip of a weapon, if nothing else.

Advertisement
IK is already used in a *vast* number of games, including action games, shooters, and a whole lot of sport games. You just dont realise its there unless its missing :)

The hard thing is that it doesnt always generate a natural movement, even when taking into account all anthropomorphic (sp?) factors. For most game, the best is still to use motion capture and animator's work for most of the animations, and add a touch of IK when needed. Its computationally expensive, too, unless you are willing to determine rotations separately, then its closed-form, but it might look like you dislocated your shoulder.

Yeah I’m aware that IK is used to a limited extent in current games, I’ve just never seen “full” IK as you say where the character is totally reactive to the environment.

Something for the future I guess.

If you don't need to do it, why do it? That's certainly a common response you'll find within the industry.

The limiting factor of implementing IK is processing capacity per unit time. This is as much an inhibition to robotics and autonomous vehicles as it is to game characters. The Joint Strike Fighter for example, uses three computers and about 2 million lines of code, just to solve the IK problem for the aircraft. The human body has many more degrees of freedom than a modern fighter jet (you have over 200 degrees of freedom between your elbow and finger tips!). To what extent do you want to approximate this system (because you'll be hard pressed to solve an IK problem with it in the next 20 years)? That's what present games do. They approximate, grossly... and use other techniques when the approximations just wont be sufficient.

Idealistically, we'd all love to see realistic representations of humans in our game worlds. Realistically, it isn't going to happen for a VERY long time!

Cheers,

Timkin

The animation system used in the Crysis engine looks pretty spiffy - it's not full IK, but it's quite sophisticated with respect to traversing sloping terrain. At least, this is going by one of the vids released a month or two back.

I think this is the best approach, combining mocapped/animated animations with IK where it's effective. "Next-gen" should certainly include advances in animation technology :)

This is all animation stuff though - the A.I. is certainly very much there; high level goal based planning with a scene's "planning objects" works quite nicely...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!