Download Bullet Hell Tactics Test (Shoot'em'up with XNA )

Started by
5 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi! There is now a public testversion available for download of my game Bullet Hell Tactics. The game is created in Game Studio Express with C# and XNA Framework. Please try the game and give some feedback. Visit the Bullet Hell Tactics blog to download the testversion. There is also gameplay videos and screenshots available. http://shmup.blogspot.com Any feedback will be appreciated!
Advertisement
I get:

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException was unhandled  Message="Unable to create the graphics device."  Source="Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game"  StackTrace:       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation newInfo)       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()       at Kobingo.AerialDiary.Program.Main(String[] args)

I suspect it may be due to my display's unconventional refresh rates (61-62 Hz vertical).

jfl.
The game ran fine, but I do develop with XNA myself so I imagine that took quite a bit of the headache away. However, it started up on my secondary monitor and I'm not sure why. My primary is a 1280x1024 LCD and secondary is 1024x768 CRT.

Gameplay
I don't think it deserves the name Bullet Hell. You have a shield and you regenerate health. There's very little difficulty compared to other manic shooters.

I found rotating the ship to be a nightmare. On the other hand, I never found myself in a situation where it was absolutely necessary.

Art & Sound
The art is quality and everything runs smooth.

Audio seemed a bit quiet.

Final Thoughts
A good effort. I think a separate "hardcore" mode that ditched the health regeneration would ramp up the quality of the gameplay.

Looking forward to any updates you might release.
Ran fine for me, but I also have XNA SDK installed.

Man, that was quite fun! It was tough, but rewarding and pretty well balanced. I might like to see one level before this one that was pretty ramped down just to get used to the controls.

Rotating the ship will take some getting used to, but it's pretty doable. It was also a great boon during the boss fight (I got past the first one) since he was in the middle and with rotating, you could always hit him.

I'd also like to see it be easier to pick up the energy. I never figured out how to do that. Every once in a while, it would zoom to me, as if I was a magnet. But other than that, I couldn't figure out how to pick them up or even whether I was.

Overall, quite a nice job. It looks really cool, too. [grin]
@jflanglois:
Yes, that's due to your display refresh rate. The game require a refresh rate of 60.

@GroZZleR:
The rotation thing is there to make something different from most other shoot'em'ups. Once you master it, it will also help you shoot down more enemies and get more score. You found it to be a nightmare? Did you use the mouse or Xbox 360 controller? The game is not supposed to be too hard, it's not only for hardcore shmup fans, although it would be fun to make such a game :-)

@Ezbez:
The energy is "zoomed" to you when you stop shooting. Guess you never stopped shooting ;-)

Thanks a lot for taking your time to try the game! Hope a few more tries it and give feedback, not much time left now...
Quote:Original post by kobingo
@jflanglois:
Yes, that's due to your display refresh rate. The game require a refresh rate of 60.

A game shouldn't require a specific refresh rate or resolution. Implement a time-dependent game loop, or at least make the time step selectable.

jfl.
Quote:Original post by kobingo
@Ezbez:
The energy is "zoomed" to you when you stop shooting. Guess you never stopped shooting ;-)

Guess I didn't stop. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement