• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AN_D_K

[java] Converting to diffferent platform

This topic is 4146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently aiming to develop a little application (using GUI, not a console program) with Java (using Netbeans) on my PC but I need it to run on a Mac too. What I'm not sure on is that if I want to make a Mac version, will I have to build it on a Mac, or will the Virtual Machine do it's thing and run the same program? Or am I better off writing a web applet that runs offline???

Advertisement
Write once run everywhere. You can develop on any machine you want. Compile and package your program and it will run anywhere there is a VM. The best way to distribute is with Web Start.

Quote:
Original post by CaptainJester
Write once run everywhere. You can develop on any machine you want. Compile and package your program and it will run anywhere there is a VM. The best way to distribute is with Web Start.

Java applications must be fully tested for every platform they are intended to run on. There are too many opportunities to do platform-specific stuff in Java (just off the top of my head, pixel-level precision on placing GUI elements, specifying file paths), that could propogate problems from as simple as misaligning elements on the screen (with not-so-simple solutions), or completely breaking the application.

"Write Once, Run Everywehere" is Sun propoganda that has *never* been true. Try, "Write Once, Debug Everywhere".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!