• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jazonxyz

Patening questions?

This topic is 4231 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I get the rights from a game I fully created? Can I get the Copyright thing or TradeMark? Do I need A lawyer? What is the difference of a Copyright and a Trademark?

Advertisement
You can Copyright your source code but the only problem with that is that a copyright will only protect your source, not your idea and your game's unique features. You can use a TM(trademark symbol) for the title of your game so that nobody can take that without doing any legal stuff however you may want to register your trademark with the government to assure that nobody else takes it.

A lawyer would probably be a good idea. They tend to be able to do things better and faster than you can but they are expensive. You can still do it yourself, its just a lot easier to get a lawyer.

As for your game you may want to patent it but that is a long and costly process that may not even succeed in the end. It all depends on how much money and time you are willing to sacrifice so your intellectual property is not stolen.

Quote:
Original post by Jazonxyz
I don't have money but I have all the time in the world. And I am underage.

Jaxon,
Time is not on your side in this. I recommend you at least buy a book, like The Copyright HandBook: How to Protect & Use Written Works
by Stephen Fishman. Nolo.com, ISBN 0-87337-548-3 ... or Patent, Copyright & Trademark; An Intellectual Property Desk Reference
by Stephen Elias & Richard Stim. Nolo.com, ISBN 0-87337-601-3

It is possible that a minor might create something with actual value. In such a case, it would be necessary for the parents to act, with the help of an attorney, to protect the IP.

Quote:
Original post by Jazonxyz
How can I get the rights from a game I fully created?
You already have them
Quote:
Can I get the Copyright thing or TradeMark? Do I need A lawyer? What is the difference of a Copyright and a Trademark?
Read the forum FAQ Forum FAQ on Copyright and Trademarks and buy the book that Tom mentioned.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!