• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jazonxyz

What are scripts?

This topic is 4040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are scripts and what are they for? I have heard of scripts everywhere but I cant find anything about them. Edit by Rav: Please use a more descriptive post title. [Edited by - Ravuya on June 6, 2007 11:06:26 AM]

Advertisement
Sorry for the off-topic, but Roboguy, your signature made me laugh real hard in a very geeky way. Thanks for that!

Scripts are simply chunks of programming code which are run by game engines.

And game engines are, simply put, a game developer's best friend. They incorporate a simplified scripting language, usually based around C/C++, Lua, or some other high-level programming language; a runtime environment, such as .NET or Doom 3's environment (which is used, in some form, in almost every modern 3D game in existence); an input system, such as DirectInput; a graphics system, such as OpenGL; a sound system, such as Miles Sound System or OpenAL; a collision or (sometimes) physics engine, such as Havok or PhysX; a pakfile or file i/o system, such as d3fio (Doom 3 File Input/Output) or zlib (Zip Library); a networking system, such as DirectPlay or SteamConnect (Half-Life/HL2's networking system); continue ad nauseum.

Some good scripting languages are:
-SourceScript, for Half-Life 2, based around C/C++
-UnrealScript, for Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, based around Lua/C++(?)
-TorqueScript, for the Torque Game Engine, based around C/C++
-CryScript (is that what it's called?), for all of Crytek's games (Far Cry series) based around Lua/C++
-Et cetera.

But anyway, scripting for a prefab game engine is how I learned to make games, and it is a lot easier than writing your own namespaces and functions, which would turn any base programming language into a sort of engine anyways. So it looks like you may be doing more scripting here than actual modest programming, if you want to make a game, at least. So pick an engine, learn the language, and get to it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!