• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aclysma

why E_NOTIMPL can be returned from D3DXCreateEffectFromFile

This topic is 4235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After spending a couple days on this I figured it would be good to mention this so future googlers can find it. If you use vs_1_1 or any other 1.x architecture in a shader, E_NOTIMPL will get returned as of the latest SDK update (feb 2007). If you change it to 2_0 or anything more recent it will work fine. It was hard for me to figure this out because I wasn't getting any error message, even with debugging turned all the way up on directx. Why they would remove support like this I have no clue.. but whatever. At least it's working now :)

Advertisement
Yeah, the last few SDKs use a newer FX compiler that doesn't have 1.1 support. It also apparently doesn't optimize very well (perfect to include in the SDK, right?). They say 1.1 support will be re-added later. I'm predicting they'll eventually announce that 1.1 is deprecated instead. Newer SDKs also don't support Win98/Win2K for end user runtimes. I think everyone at work stopped upgrading last August, as we need to support older OS versions and cards, and no immediate plans to support anything Vista specific.

There was a fair bit of grumbling when this change was announced [lol]

You can auto-promote SM1 shaders to SM2 by using D3DXSHADER_ENABLE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY, or you can force an additional dependency on an older D3DX DLL to compile SM1 by using D3DXSHADER_USE_LEGACY_D3DX9_31_DLL...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!