Boundary Conditions - Diff Eq

Started by
2 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 16 years, 11 months ago
I have a problem with a question on my final exam. I do not expect nor want any help just a simple yes or no will suffice. I am solving the classic wave equation using the Laplace Transform method extended to partial derivatives. Not a problem. The issue is I have never run across a boundary condition such as this:

u(0,t) = sin(2*PI*t), 0<t<1
       = 0          , t>1

(Note: there is no u(L,t) boundary condition specified. The usual initial conditions are specified) I have seen limits, constants and functions for boundary conditions, but never a boundary condition such as this. So on to my question... has anyone ever seen a boundary condition like this? [smile] Check box: [ ] Yes [ ] No (*) Sense this is a take home final I checked the book for any boundary value problems similar to this.
∫Mc
Advertisement
With "usual initial conditions" I assume you mean u(x,0) = f(x) and du(x,0)/dt = g(x) ?

If so, yes, the given boundary condition is a type of Dirichlet boundary condition (also known as boundary condition of first kind), defining u(0,t) = h(t)

So yes, I have seen them.

- M
Quote:Original post by thebolt00
With "usual initial conditions" I assume you mean u(x,0) = f(x) and du(x,0)/dt = g(x) ?

Yes, in this case, the initial displacement and velocity.

Quote:
If so, yes, the given boundary condition is a type of Dirichlet boundary condition (also known as boundary condition of first kind), defining u(0,t) = h(t)

So yes, I have seen them.

- M

Thanks

btw... It always helps to RTFT. There is a sentence stating:

Look for a solution which decays to zero with increasing X for all time.
(so... u(x,t) -> 0 as x -> infinity )

I hate it when I reach burn out during finals.

[Edited by - smc on May 13, 2007 11:25:53 AM]
∫Mc
Folks, no problems here in this case, but just want to remind everyone to be careful when replying to school related questions. Advice, hints are okay, but I don't want to see any answers!
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement