• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endurion

[.net] SilverLight evalution

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Did anybody take a look at SilverLight already? Clicky From what i've seen it's basically a .NET platform inside a browser. It's still in very alpha but Microsoft provides plugins for Windows and Mac, IE and Firefox. A Linux version won't come from Microsoft which seems good news for the Mono project. Microsoft will however provide some parts of the implementation under Ms-PL, so a plugin based on Mono should be available soon. There are a few demo apps with source available. Naturally i took a look at Digger, the boulder dash clone (although it looks more like Flasch Bier). Awesome, as i could download the source, open and compile it in Visual Studio Express and test it on my page (for testing purposes). First impression: Neat, this is a good alternative, and it lets me use C# :) What i didn't like: Parts of the game are running as javascript in the page. But i guess that'll be changeable.

Advertisement
There are a bunch of Silverlight samples here. Two of the most impressive and fun-to-experiment-with samples are:

Silverlight Pad - Lets you write XAML and view it directly. Great for experimenting with XAML.

Silverlight + Python interactive console - Write Python at an interactive console complete with Intellisense. Needs Silverlight 1.1 alpha (~4.25 MB).

It even has a XAML editor, and you can use the console to manipulate the XAML objects. It's amazing that all of this is running on Silverlight in a browser. Here's an example (first the XML that goes in the XAML tab, followed by a sample interactive console session):

<Canvas xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007"
xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">
<TextBlock x:Name="text1"
Text="Silverlight Canvas"
FontSize="24"/>
</Canvas>

py> text1.Text = "Hello world"
py> def test(sender,e ):
py| print "asdf"
py> text1.MouseEnter += test
asdf
asdf
asdf
asdf
py>

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!