• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Numsgil

C++ project helper?

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, so I'd appreciate any thoughts people have. Basically there are 4 tasks that I think a program would be well suited to handle: 1. Simple project dependancy tracker. Would detect unreferenced source files, and maybe even media files, though I'm not sure how that would work. 2. Redundant code finder. Would search through your code for copy-paste-and-modify code that would be better suited for a function, template, class, what have you. 3. Code standard checker. Would look through your source and find areas that a conventional compiler wouldn't catch, but that are poor programming practice. The most obvious being global variables, but there are many others I could name. 4. Variable dependancy tracker. Would look through your source and find variablese that are never referenced in classes, and build call lists for variables that are called, so you can track how interconnected different classes are, and where might be a good spot to refactor out a new module. Ideally it would be smart enough to figure out accessor functions, but it's not that important. I'm pretty sure programs that do this sort of thing must already exist, but I'm not sure what they'd be called or how to search for them. I'm using C++.

Advertisement
VS2005 does a fairly good job on #4 in your list. It warns about unreferenced variables during a build; and the caller graph does what you're talking about to some extent.

We've got a simple refactoring app in the works that would indirectly touch some of those other issues.

#3 is FxCopfor .NET not sure the current best c++ equivelent

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!