• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
udvat

Finding length of a curve

This topic is 4234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

given du/dt= a(-3+6t-3t^2) + b(9t^2-12t+3) + c(-9t^2+6t) + 3t^2d dv/dt= a1(-3+6t-3t^2) + b1(9t^2-12t+3) + c1(-9t^2+6t) + 3t^2d1 dw/dt= a2(-3+6t-3t^2) + b2(9t^2-12t+3) + c2(-9t^2+6t) + 3t^2d2 f(t) =sqrt [ (du/dt)^2 + (dv/dt)^2 + (dw/dt)^2]............................(1) L=integration of f(t) in the range [tmin,tmax]..................................(2) Question 1: is it possible to find f(t)? plz help Question 2: if I dont do the sqrt as (1) I get f(t)*f(t)= (du/dt)^2 + (dv/dt)^2 + (dw/dt)^2....................(3) then I can integrate (3) and get L'' L''=integration of f(t)*f(t) in the range [tmin,tmax] how can I get L from L''?

Advertisement
So, let's think about this from a different perspective.

Say you have a velocity vector. If you're given only Vx, Vy, and Vz, how do you find V?

Well, V = sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2 + Vz^2) right?

Velocity is, however, just the time-derivate of the position R. Therefore:

dR/dt = sqrt((dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2)

Which looks familiar. Only in your case, you have "V" but you want "R". How do you find R?
Can you use R = sqrt(x^2 + y+2 + z^2)?

Do you see a way to get u,v, and w?

1. At first glance, looks very messy. I would likely use a numerical approximation.

2. No.

(Note: I plugged the given problem into Maple, and after 800 seconds it is still working on the solution which is sort of reassuring that my first glance was correct.)

Quote:
Original post by udvat
NO. I dont want to get u,v,w. I want to get the length L.

Ok, let me be more direct. This looks like schoolwork, so I'm hesitant to just give you the answer. I realize that you want L, and I'm asserting that you can find L by working with u,v, and w. My previous post was an analog of your particular problem. Try assuming that I wrote it because it's relevant and not because I'm too confused to understand a simple question.

Because it looks like schoolwork, it's still up to you to figure out why it's relevant. If you do, then finding L will become trivial.

Thanks Mastaba,yes, I applied numerical approximation and it is working.

And Errision,for your kind information,it is not any school assignment.
I dont understand why do you hesitate to help someone to figure out a solution thinking that its a school task? There is no crime in helping in a school assignment too.(I think)
Because you are just showing the way, you are not solving the whole problem.

Quote:
Original post by udvat

Thanks Mastaba,yes, I applied numerical approximation and it is working.

And Errision,for your kind information,it is not any school assignment.
I dont understand why do you hesitate to help someone to figure out a solution thinking that its a school task? There is no crime in helping in a school assignment too.(I think)
Because you are just showing the way, you are not solving the whole problem.

It's the rules here :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!