DirectX and VS C++ 2005 Express

Started by
2 comments, last by Aardvajk 16 years, 11 months ago
I am in the process of attempting to do the Game Programming 101 tutorial and am having trouble with this part b/c it refers to VSC++ 6.0 and these menu's not available on 2005 Setting things up We are not actually going to start programming anything now. It is best to start by setting all things up so that in the next tutorial we don’t have to worry about annoying little details. Again, all steps covered here are using Visual C++. If you have another compiler please look in your documentation on how to set it up to compile DirectX programs. First we need to create a Project. Go to the File menu, then select New and choose Win32 Application. Enter the name Ping in the Project name text box. Click Ok. Now we need to add the DirectX libraries to the project. Go to the Project menu and select Settings. Choose the Link tab and in Object/library modules text box add dxguid.lib ddraw.lib dinput.lib.
Advertisement
Assuming you have downloaded and installed both the Platform SDK and the DirectX SDK (neither of which ship with VS Express 2005), go to Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Input and on the right, click in the Additional Dependancies box. You can now browse to find the .lib files you want to add to the project.

Note though that you may also need to add the DXSDK include directories via the Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories as well.

Info on installing the PSDK is here. Download the DXSDK here.

BTW, DirectDraw is now thoroughly deprecated and you'd be better off getting some more up to date resources and learning Direct3D, even for doing 2D graphics.
I just installed the PSDK and I am still having trouble with the DIrectX libs, when I hit the browse button(Additional dependencies) I get an empty white box where I can type, so do I just entered the paths in here?
Sorry - my mistake.

If you go into Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories and add the DXSDK Include directory to the Include list and the DXSDK Lib directory to the Lib list, then yes, you can just type like "ddraw.lib dxguid.lib" (etc) in that Additional Dependancies box.

The order is important if I remember correctly. In my Include files list, I have the PSDK include, then the DXSDK include, then the others that were already there.

In the Library files list, I have PSDK at the top, then the ones that were there already, then the DXSDK Lib at the bottom of the list.

Don't ask me why. I just got loads of weird errors until I ordered them like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement