• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n00beedS

New to programming

This topic is 4229 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hmmm... difficult question really, ah sod it, no it's not, Java and MIDP/CLDC development :) woohoo - as recommended by John Carmack for beginners ;)

OOP - Object Oriented Programming. That's what you're going to want to know to program. C++ is a language with OOP, meaning you can do OOP with C++ or you don't have to. Java is strictly an OOP language. Start with either of the two. That's my recommendation.

It all depends on where you want to end up, but for starters you going to need to learn a programming language. There are a bunch out there, but arguably the best one to learn for a beginner is C++. I would stear clear of Java as you'll become easily frustrated with understanding certain concepts. A good grasp of C++ would allow you later on to move on to any other language easily. As where starting with BASIC, or Java would make things a slightly more difficult. But this is only half the battle, after buying some C++ books you'll need to understand the concept of libraries. There are mainly 2 out there that you should concern yourself with, DirectX and OpenGL. I recommend you first start by using SDL (www.libsdl.org) which basically sets things up for you that normally you would have to do yourself with DirectX or OpenGL. This will only work for 2D games though. Once you're good with SDL you can move on to OpenGL which SDL and OpenGL integrate nicely together. The SDL website has some nice tutorials that will help you.

Quote:
Original post by MetaCipher
It all depends on where you want to end up, but for starters you going to need to learn a programming language. There are a bunch out there, but arguably the best one to learn for a beginner is C++. I would stear clear of Java as you'll become easily frustrated with understanding certain concepts. A good grasp of C++ would allow you later on to move on to any other language easily. As where starting with BASIC, or Java would make things a slightly more difficult. But this is only half the battle, after buying some C++ books you'll need to understand the concept of libraries. There are mainly 2 out there that you should concern yourself with, DirectX and OpenGL. I recommend you first start by using SDL (www.libsdl.org) which basically sets things up for you that normally you would have to do yourself with DirectX or OpenGL. This will only work for 2D games though. Once you're good with SDL you can move on to OpenGL which SDL and OpenGL integrate nicely together. The SDL website has some nice tutorials that will help you.

I can't say I entirely agree with this. While C++ has been industry standard for a long time (and probably will be for some time still) it is definately not the most easy language to start with.

C++ requires you to be much more aware of low-level details than other object-oriented languages such as java or C#. As such, starting with java or C# is definately a choice worth considering. It may be great to understand everything down to the tiniest low-level detail but as a beginner you'll want to see some results quickly and C++ will disappoint you often.

The thing is, you're new to programming and thus it is important that you learn concepts, programming paradigms and problem solving in general. These are things that aren't bound to a specific language and will help you grasp any second language way faster than your first - be it C++, java or C#. As such, there is really no need to torture yourself with a hard language such as C++ first when you can learn these things from easier languages as well.

P.S. I have a heard a lot of good things about Python as well, but unfortunately I haven't given that a chance yet so I am unable to share my experiences. Perhaps other people can give you an impression of why python is so good for beginners.

I am wrapping up my 1st course in C++ and to be quite honest, it has not been too bad. Final is next week and I am sure I will do well. Before this course, I had never programmed before. I would say the hardest thing for newbies is just getting familiar with the language, seeing how everything fits and works. At time I got lost(damn those stupid cstrings arrays!!) but as you move on to other topics, things start clicking. It wasn't until I hite arrauys that the for loop really sunk in as to how to use the parameters so if you don't get ASK the teacher(if you take a class, which I recommend), and you can always post on here, I know I sure have!!

Good luck with whatever language you decide!!
I vote for C++ btw
PS
Once you get to know a language, the other ones are easier since they are the same concepts just sytax is different, give or take. What language is next? Java or continue with C++?

I vote against C++

The arguments you hear in favor of C++ are that it's fast and that it's the industry standard. The latter is true largely because of legacy codebase support and the game industry being slow to move to new technologies. Since you aren't looking to start working with a legacy codebase that's not a good reason to look at C++. The efficiency argument is equally bad but I'll let more experience members handle that since I don't have any links on hand. Regardless of the performance issue as a beginner you likely won't need or be able to take advantage of any of the performence benefits (real or imaginary) that people associate with C++.

Why not C++? It's an unbelievably complex language with lots and lots of ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Many things that you would think work are actually undefined behavior. Tutorials you find on the web are often really bad and teach a hybrid of c and c++ that is inaccurate and out of date. The compilation model makes me want to scream. Basically if you start learning C++ you will spend a lot of time learning C++ and very little time actually learning to program.

I highly recommend python. Java or C# would be a decent alternative.

I believe it's important to concentrate on the foundations first, don't worry about learning all this Win32 API,DirectX,OpenGL crap at the moment it will just confuse the situation, a good place to start if your really focused on C++ is the ANSI standard which will focus mainly on console programming (DOS prompt), but it's important to learn OOP methodologies which is why I suggested Java as it's purely OOP based language and will make you think in OOP.

perhap you could try both and see how you feel after a couple of weeks of learning them both, whatever one you decide on, stick with it and try hard, your get there! to be honest I try NOT to listen to most people on forums (although there is alot of excellent advice on here) as there is a vast number of opinions, someone will suggest C++, others will say Python, Java blah blah blah, the important is to find a language you like using, but you can't go wrong with Java as it has everything you need to develop, Applications, Mobile game/application (play games on your cell phone, pretty neat huh? ;) ), and you can even develop games using java using JOGL (OpenGL wrapper) or perhaps LWJGL (OpenGL wrapper), have alook at the Quake 2 Java port (http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html), excellent example of what people can do or perhaps look at the LWJGL website (http://www.lwjgl.org/projects.php) with there examples, particularly 'Tribal Trouble' - fantastically smooth on my obsolete system :o)

Yeah thanks guys. Err can anyone of you post links for free download for compilers of the computer languages so I can carefully decide and continue. I'm not sure on Java compiler, thus I really wish that you gyus can help me.

Visual Studios C++ 2005 Express Edition is good, that what I use.

I don't know which compilers are good with Java,sorry :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!