• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
soconne

[.net] Force windows xp to generate thumbs.db in a specified folder

This topic is 4057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to do this through .NET? I have folders of images and instead of manually going to them and viewing the folder in "Thumbnails" mode so XP generates the thumbs.db, I would like to force XP to do it through C#. Can this be done?

Advertisement
Caching the thumbnails in a Thumbs.db file is an option, so it might be turned off by the end user. Its nature is also something that will probably change with different versions of Windows, so I can't see there being any reliable way to force the generation of thumbnails.

Why exactly do you want to do this? There might be another way to achieve your goal.

Well the software I am developing is only meant to run on Windows XP, so I don't need to worry about future versions of Windows. The reason I need it is I am developing an image viewer and I need to quickly generate thumbnails from 3800x2600 jpeg images, which can be quit slow. I'm using 2 imaging libraries at the moment: Leadtools and Aurigma Graphicmill. Both do not generate thumbnails as fast as Windows seems to. So I wanted some way to force windows to generate the thumbs.db for a specific folder and then I would simply parse the Thumbs.db to extract the image data.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!