MD3 Model help - SOLVED

Started by
4 comments, last by davek20 16 years, 11 months ago
I need some help rendering MD3 models. What I have right now is a model that is broke into a head, torso and legs. I can render them fine separately, but I'm stumped on how to render it as a whole. I know that in the Tags there is an orientation matrix and position associated with it but I couldn't find anything on what is held in the orientation. Does it have BOTH rotation and translation or just the rotation? Also, is it a transformation matrix or a quaternion? I noticed that when I print out the position of head tag associated with the torso they are non-zero, while in the head model the head tag is 0,0,0. So what would be the best way to render all the parts? Should I render the torso, then for each tag, go to that position, apply the transformation and then render that part? Or do I have to search through all the other model parts and find a model that has that tag in it? (since its a bad idea to assume that all models have the same number of models and tags and names) Once I get 2 parts connected, then the whole model can be loaded lol. Thanks in advance. [Edited by - davek20 on May 16, 2007 10:07:36 AM]
Advertisement
I guess this would help ;)

http://rapidshare.com/files/31419184/MD3Animation_SDL.zip

Enjoy,

EnygmyX.
Thanks for that link. It looks like it will help out a lot. Everything in there is nicely explained and EVERYTHING is commented :)
np ..... but be warned that since this code was meant to be a tutorial by the author therefore it is quite unoptimized and there are a few memory leaks even. So if you are planning to do something worthwhile quite a few optimizations will be needed like replacing all those matrix multiplications with quaternions etc.

EnygmyX.
Quote:Original post by enygmyx
np ..... but be warned that since this code was meant to be a tutorial by the author therefore it is quite unoptimized and there are a few memory leaks even. So if you are planning to do something worthwhile quite a few optimizations will be needed like replacing all those matrix multiplications with quaternions etc.

EnygmyX.

Ok, thanks for that heads up. I'm trying to make a game and using the MD3 models in it. I got it working with the head linked to the torso, but I found a problem that will happen later on with different models being loaded in and attached.

I looked at the animation.cfg file and it looks like it would solve this and keep things synced up. I found this sit with some info about the file format for the .cfg file http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/shapes-tutorial/shapetutorial.html

I really don't see how that can be used to animate it? Like how would it sync the head and leg models with the torso?
Nevermind, I found what I needed in the code you posted. I guess I should have read over the code more closely.

Thanks for the help enygmyx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement