• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
serratemplar

how does one install sdl dev on a mac?

This topic is 4227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just picked up my new computer - a MacBook Pro. This is my first foray into the world of Macs (longtime user of Windows and Linux (Debian, Ubuntu)), so I'm trying to get all the libraries I will need for development downloaded and installed. I got SDL.Framework squared away (I think), because it came with "Where to put me" instructions...but the sdl dev stuff does not. Do I just drop the .h and lib files in the folders I expect to (/usr/include and /usr/lib), or is there something I should be aware of before doing this? Do they go somewhere else? I'm still learning how alike/different Mac OS X is from Unix, if that explains at all the trouble I've been having. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
a framework is a collection of headers and libs. You just need to link the sdl framework in to your project that is it.
the only diffrence between the regular and the dev is that the dev give you nice templates for xcode( so you can create a new "sdl project" in xcode) and the dev framework maybe a debug version of the sdl framwork. I would recommend just installing the dev version because it has the templates for xcode,but should be able to compile with just the sdl framwork installed.

Look up how it's done on Linux.
At least I think that's how I got it working on my mac powerbook a longtime ago when I was messing with SDL and Allegro.
It should be very similar anyways if you can't google mac specific info.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!