• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nippysaurus

simulate car engine

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to create a virtual car engine, and be able to add variable resistance like with a gearbox and clutch, although this seems to be rather complicated. Does anyone have any idea where I can get more information about this? I have googled but failed to find any guidance that way.

Advertisement
I guess this is a question of how detailed you want the simulation to be? For most purposes it's simply necessary to find the power that arrives on the road. If you know the engine power output for a given RPM... you can simply approximate some loss in the drive train and gearbox. The chances are it doesn't make that much difference in a game situation as your units will most probably be arbitrary in some sense. something like this:
http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html
gives you a good overview and includes a typical power output profile. if you want a game whereby you can mod the engine you can basically have drive train components modify the power loss profile... and other engine parts change the power output profile... then just scale it all so the speeds look right. You could also have external styling parts affect the down force (how likely it is to wheel spin given the level of acceleration and gearing, and handling can be affected), the wind resistance (top speed can change) or the weight. I think you could fairly easily incorporate most of these things into a simple model that just gave you the power at the road. If you are specifically interested in simulating the internal transmission of forces based on a physical model (or even a numerical method) you'll need a more refined look at things.
Hope this helps,

Dan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!