• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mike20070515

Numerical Analysis

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.I want to learn mathematics for game programming.Is numerical analysis important for games mathematics??I have a good and huge book about numerical analysis.Should I read it??

Advertisement
"Numerical analysis" is a fairly generic term. What about it are you interested in? From a practical standpoint, mathematics tends to describe things in terms of real numbers and exact arithmetic. On a standard computer, floating-point arithmetic does not behave as you would like. Numerical analyses can help you decide whether an algorithm will produce acceptable results. A more focused question on your part might be more helpful here...

To look at it another way, for games that utilize complex math for physics, collisions, nontrivial game logic, character animation, etc., the use of various sorts of numerical analysis can help developers to create algorithms that are robust, and this helps minimize bugs and glitches in the game. Important indeed.

Now, whether or not you should go and read a huge book...well that would be a matter of your personal interest. Game development is vastly multidisciplinary, and every discipline can be deep and complex. Think about what aspect of game development you're interested in (physics, AI, graphics, networking) and that should narrow your focus.

Numerical analysis is a good subject to study when doing integration of non-linear functions. ie: Adding the changing force of a spring to one's velocity and position every second.

From what I've gathered around here, most people master either Runge-Kutta 4 or Verlet integration, and move on. So, luckily for some, the stop at this station is rather short and sweet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!