• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Coz

About source code/media repository directories

This topic is 4148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on an open source game, and we want to add a new directory to the SVN repository that contains the source media, that is, the working files(for example, for images, they would be in GIMP's or Photoshop native formats). The issue is that we have two options: #1 /trunk - for everything but the source media /media - for the source media and #2 /trunk/<project's name> - for everything but source media /trunk/media - for source media The approach #2 seems obviously better, but there two problems with it: - Everyone that has a done a checkout to this point has /trunk as their root directory. It concerns not only developers, but the users and packagers of the Linux distributions. - The website that hosts the repository and developer interface has instructions to download from /trunk to get the files in the repository, and we cannot change these instructions. This won't be transitory, and the source media is as big as the rest of the repository, together they could be around 160 megabytes. However, approach #1 has one big problem: artists that do a checkout, won't get the /media directory, and probably will work using the media meant to be used in the game, not to be edited, and it's even worse if they do it on their own then appear suddenly with improved art. Given only those two choices, which one would you pick as a manager for your own project, and which one would you like better as a programmer/artist?

Advertisement
I'm not personally familiar with Subversion, but can't you set up the actual game assets in the trunk/ path to disallow commits from the artists? That way they can only commit to the media/ path, and you just set up an automated tool (or whatever) to batch convert from the raw media files to the game assets. That's essentially how most large projects are managed in my experience.

Mucking around with the paths should be easy; I would imagine that any decent SVN client should let you remap paths from the repository to arbitrary locations on the local client's disk. Even SourceSafe can do that [wink]

Limiting commits would work to prevent us from screwing up, but that doesn't prevents checkout of the source media directory by people who are not interested in it.

However, the batch conversion is interesting, and something I should probably look into :)

If you are interested in knowing, if you know the concept of a symbolic link/soft link from the Unix world(something like a shortcut to a folder in Windows), I'll try this:

/trunk - for everything but the source media
/media - for the source media

/trunk/media -> /media/trunk - soft link from trunk/media to media/trunk

and for branches and tags it would be the same

/tags/0.3/media -> /media/tags/0.3 - soft link from tags/0.3/media to /media/tags/0.3

Thanks for your help!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!