• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jimbogd

finding out texture size limits?

This topic is 4228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Does any one know if there's a list available containing the maximum texture sizes for various popular graphics cards? If enough cards support large enough texture sizes then I won't have to write code to deal with small texture limits. Thanks jimbogd

Advertisement
The DirectX SDK comes with a spreadsheet (and also a PDFed version) that describes the capabilities of various families of graphics cards. I suggest this route, because every graphics programmer should have the DX SDK, no matter what API you're actually working in. There are also capabilities databases online that you can query.

Generally speaking, there's almost no hardware left on the planet that can't do 2048 square. New cards (GeForce 6+, ATI Radeon X1K+ iirc) can handle 4096 square. I don't know of any consumer hardware that can do bigger, but I'm not sure about the workstation class stuff (Quadro, FireGL, etc).

There is also the Delph3D list although it was collected from OpenGL rather than D3D.

The texture numbers apply to D3D since they are hardware capabilities. The OpenGL extensions generally mirror the driver capabilities of D3D for major vendors, and sometimes cross-checking on this list gives insights about a particular card/driver combination.

As was mentioned, all but the oldest and cheapest PC video cards support 2048x2048 at a minimum. Those that don't support 1024x1024.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!