The Art Of Combat.

Started by
28 comments, last by frus 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I was talking to a few friends today about The Art of Combat, which I feel is lost on people today. They could not get through their heads what was so beautiful about war, what was so wonderful about man and machine coming together to do a magical thing, destroy. I know what your already thinking, I’m mad, you may be right, but I feel that combat is an artistic thing. This point got me thinking, about game design, about the games of today. you may totally disagree but I feel that the ART of combat has really been lost in games today, this is my point, it is now all about what weapon you have, what advantage point you choose and how long you survive - this is beautiful in itself but it could be better? Do you agree?? In modern culture it’s all about guns...I do miss the age of skilful marksmanship and artful swordsmanship, this is however reachable in games. But hears what I thought games designers should be trying to do, bring back the art of combat, bring back the idea that you shouldn’t just have to kill guy, but you should want to kill that guy. You shouldn't go for the shotgun because it's the better weapon but you should go for it because you know that you know how it works and how its best used. I say we shake things up a bit so killing becomes a beautiful thing in games. Like gunz, this online FPS which involves jump’in/ run’in/ shoot’in/ grenade’in/ blade’in all in one makes for fantastic game play. Halo maybe another example as people would jump lots, dual weild maybe or throw a few grenades but it was this mix of ways to kill people that made it beautiful. I'm not really sure what my point was, and I bet you don't either, but I just feel that the ART OF COMBAT is lost in games today and in culture today......discussion? Ian.
- Thank you for reading -
Advertisement
Quote:Like gunz, this online FPS which involves jump’in/ run’in/ shoot’in/ grenade’in/ blade’in all in one makes for fantastic game play. Halo maybe another example as people would jump lots, dual weild maybe or throw a few grenades but it was this mix of ways to kill people that made it beautiful.

Sounds like more blatant FPS games to me. I don't really understand your point anyway... you want more ways to kill people? Try aimin' a little higher on the creativity bar.

Besides, I think most would define this, "Art of Combat" as the various martial arts styles, rather than "point click bang".
The Art Of Combat, i should of really made this clear is things like, stratergy and tactics and getting a head shot from 500 yards whilest flying through the air and being boombarded by incoming fire.......that is the real beautie....and i don't feel games have that so much any more...creativity im sure is one issue.

Ian
I just came from a war zone and I can assure you that it is ugly. There is no beauty in hate driven murder.

I know that you are only thinking of games right now, but please be a little more mindful in your comments. Thank you, and happy gaming.

Also just to add to your thread, there is one thing that you mentioned that seems fruitful. That is the concept that the player should be more emotionally attached to the events of a game. Of course this is difficult and it's effect is highly dependent on the audience, but it is possible.

One thing that players always care about, are things that they had to work hard for. When they lose that in a game it can draw emotional responses. Just don't go too far.
Programming since 1995.
Thanks for your input, but i assure i'm just thinking of games, i know war, i have studied in depth and i know people who go are in the armmed forces, i'm not saying i know what you have gone through. i hope to soon be a part of a well organized, highly motivated, machine in which men and machines make the bolts.

Indeed the idea that getting the player emotionaly attached is good, you want the player to shouting abuse at the screen "dye dye dye" or something like that, in halo3 they talked of how they wanted the player to feel connected to the game as it was thier planet which was being taken over, this makes for good game play.

Thanks, Ian.
Quote:Original post by Mr Thompson
Thanks for your input, but i assure i'm just thinking of games, i know war, i have studied in depth and i know people who go are in the armmed forces, i'm not saying i know what you have gone through. i hope to soon be a part of a well organized, highly motivated, machine in which men and machines make the bolts.

Are you a nazi? I mean you would fit perfectly into Hilters live dangerous life style. I know it might sound a litle irritated but I have no respect for the people that buitify (I know my english is bad) war. I mean I like rambo for what it is, a brainless action movie with lots of guns and explosions. I know its nothing like real war, where you see your friends dying. But your 'I like to kill becouse it gives me a good feeling' type of games your here aiming at are dangerous for the simple minded. I think those games are wrong. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy GTA and Unreal Tournament. I'm nowhere near any anti action game fanatic. But we must know our boundries, I think we all agree we don't want anymore shootouts at schools. I think it is dangerous to create game that make you feel warm inside when you shoot people, as long as it stays unrealistic with lots of explosions and wierd humor fps games are cool. But as soon as they make you feel you wanna kill becouse it what you like you should get some professional help.

I know my english is bad so juge the text on its meaning and go find jesus, he will really help you.

Tjaalie,

PS: I'm not a christian but I think you need to get some structure in your life when you are thinking about making killing something good.
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
I feel that i should go look over the point i was thinking of when i started writing this thread, i think the meaning got lost some where in between my head and fingers. I don't enjoy killing i just think that tactical plans and such are beautiful in the way they work. any way i retract all statments until i can really get across what i'm trying to say. Thanks for the, comments.

No i'm not part of the Nazi's or any other hate political group. I have studdied hitler, i know what he did, i know who the nazis were, there was no beauty in thier on-slaught.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, good points.

Ian.
Erm... thank you for not obeying Godwin's Law.
I think I understand what your saying, you just wrote it in a way that makes you sound Psycho.

What I think you meant to say, was that we need better Gun-Fu in games.

In John Woo Hong Kong action flicks, the gun becomes an extension of the hero's fighting strength.

There is a cinematic beauty to the violence in that type of action movie.

The Slow motion, The Doves, The glass breaking etc...
Henchmen are dieing horribly all around...but they are evil so it's ok.

Most Gun fighting heroes use one gun, maybe go two fisted same type,...
(Hmm I'd like to see a fps with just one gun for a change...and lots of way to use it.)
And more hand to hand, not just a metal bar.

BATMAN
"A gun is a cowards weapon.
A liar's weapon.
We kill...too often...because we've made it easy...to easy...
...Sparing ourselves...The mess...
...And the work."
Yeah, dont worry I know what you mean.

I had that in counterstrike in office, I stumbled upon the perfect combination, them with their machine guns, and me pouncing out of corners and splatting them in the head with the shotgun, twas perfect and annoyed the hell out of them.

I think its the same in martial arts movies as well, they go over the top the combat is too forced, the moves too constant. You dont get the wary circling and measuring. You dont get the attack, stop then re-evalute for the next attack or response.

I see no problem in what you had said, there's no point in being afraid of our desire's, as long as you dont have a desire to do it for real, I believe we are all adults and can tell the difference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement