• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NickBarkus

How to start with a 2D Game development ...

This topic is 4230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I have a 2D game concept in my mind . Before this i have never developed or worked on any 2D game . What i have decided to that currenlty i would be working alone thus coding , graphics , music etc will be done my me. So before i start with my project i know about hard work and patience one must have. So now the question is that how should i start with ( what things should i know and what steps should i take ), what software and tools that i need ( here i am not talking abt c++ or opengl ) etc . I can't even put up my question well but what i want to know is abt the journey of a 2d game development( a hight level view) from the start to the end . My question is like asking a place where i want to go which is unknown to me , what is needed is the right advice. I would appreciate and be very thank full ( although i have no means to express it) to anyone who could guide me the right track of development. thanks -nick-

Advertisement
First of all you'll obviously need some kind of engine, one to handle graphics/audio etc and one that handles the game itself. I would start by just displaying a few images, add movement, and maybe if you feel ready for it, audio.

If you're going to use something like SDL that is probably very easy (I've never used it, so I don't know).

And another thing, start with very basic stuff and move on once you feel ready. This might sound very boring, but it pays off in the end.

The first consideration is about being realistic, what can YOU do at this moment in time? What skills do you have? Write down on paper what you think your good at, i.e. graphics creation to writing code. After you have it all written down on paper, think about your strengths and weaknesses, what can YOU do to become better, what do you NEED to do to make your dream a possibility.

Personally, what I do is write all my ideas down on paper, plan it out extensively before you begin any proper development. During the design process, try out different ideas you have, see what works etc...

really it's quite simple, the more planning you do, the better prepared you will be, I know this is a contradiction to what is stated above, but don't be concerned with YOUR limitations (we don't like to admit it, but we all have them), write out whatever is in your imagination that way the more thorough your game design the better your judgement will become when considering what needs doing and what skills you need to achieve.

Design! Design! Design!

Well an engine would be good to have; It would need subsystems for graphics handling loading images, texture mapping them, the x and y coordinates current frame for animation etc. Also A initialization class handling all whats needed to initialize SDL for example if you are using it, in one functions parameters. Opengl Initialization could be completed with a Camera class grouping one function handling projection and the eye with glOrtho(...) or glViewport(...), and the eye with either with glRotate() glTranslate() calls in the class function, or glLookAt() call. Other calls for light and fog could be called in a function for general initialization; and example would be inline void InitGL() { glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH); glClearDepth(1.0f); }. A class using SDL to check for input could handle all input events with a call like SDL_PollEvent( &event ) leading to checking if SDL_KEYDOWN == TRUE and furthermore to check for specific keys. A sound class might be needed to make it easy by being able to call one method to stop music and start it and other manipulations. You could also make a level editor in C#, or read data from a text file with numbers representing tiles. Also a timer class would be a great thing to have; you could handle time with SDL's SDL_GetTicks();. A class updating coordinates and time and such is as well needed. You could also check out and use someone elses "engine" or bunch of header and .cpp files.

There is the only one I know much about.
http://ravuya.ballofdoom.com/propaneinjector.php

I hoped that helped

~Mad_Coder

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!