• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kver

[SDL] Ready to rumble? no...

This topic is 4057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've investigated this before, but never had very much luck; Is there any SDL add-ons or even any completely unrelated libraries that can give rumble-enabled controllers the shakes? Thanks!

Advertisement
This comes up on the SDL mailing-list every so often; to the best of my knowledge they don't have force feedback support yet, but are thinking about it for SDL 2.0.

I believe the reason is that force feedback APIs on Linux haven't settled yet, but that's a pretty moot point at this stage in the game since they have settled on every other OS.

That may not be too bad, I work on the three major OS's; Is there any available for Mac or Windows you can point me to?

Well, I know that SDL under Windows uses DirectInput, and it looks like Apple has a whole API under HID for handling force feedback.

Check out the Linux force-feedback wiki for more there.

Opening up the SDL source code and modifying the SDL_joystick files to add force feedback for each platform should be OK, as long as you offer your source code back to the community. This is probably what I would do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!