• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
quantumgamez

Smart Card need info

This topic is 4227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to start working with smart cards, but not invest a whole lotta money into it until I am certain that my idea will work. Does anyone know how to startup programming smartcards, read, write smartcards, and use them without investing awhole lotta money in other words what is the cheapest but an efficient route to go working with smartcards? Thanks, c.s. Finch

Advertisement
Really they're not much more than text streams, and very easy to program for.

You can find used smartcard reader/writers on ebay and other sites. 20 seconds on ebay found two used ones at $2.99 + shipping. New ones are available from stores online. I mean, here's a new one for $35 for ISO 7816 cards. Here are cards for about $2 for individual cards, cheaper in bulk.

You'll find it is cheaper to use a barcode scanner, since you won't need to pay for cards.

The reading interface for all of these are almost identical -- it's a simple stream. With barcodes you simply print using the appropriate barcode font rather than call the api command to write a to a buffer. (The SmartCard SDK has been incorporated into the Windows API, and it is very simple to use.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!