• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kohar

first person shooter novice questions

This topic is 4057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everyone I have been working on a first person shooter in my spare time for awhile and I recently hit a brick wall in programming. As of now I am programming in c++ and using opengl. My program is basically a first person perspective where a floating ball is in front of you, if you press E it shoots and when it comes into contact with one of its 6 surrounding walls it explodes and a new ball is generated. Where should I go from here? What are some good methods of loading complex levels? As of now I manually program in the 6 walls and their corresponding collision cords. How can I do this for levels with multiple walls? I would eventually like to seed my program with a random number and it would generate a sensible level… nothing like oblivion but the same concept. Any tips on AI and NPC pathing would be appreciated too. I’m new to the gamedev scene so if anyone knows of any good websites that would also be helpful. The main one I’ve been using is nehe.gamedev.net THANKS

Advertisement
First you should try to implement BSP levels, that Quake 3 used. There are lot of tutorials on that, even NeHe has some of them. They are fully textured, light mapped maps. Another interesting approach was implemented in cube engine, there is more advanced approach in Sauerbraten engine. Basically level are made from cubes like lego bricks.
Check out MD3 model format, OpenGl has lot of examples on how to load and animate them.
From that point you will have full maps with animated enemies.
If I remember well BSP levels have also paths for enemies, just need to find on net some good tutorials on pathfinding between points.
Random maps are totally different story, you need to decide what kind of map you want to use, random or statically loaded.
On random level generation there is JTippetts journal page on gamedev. Look at it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!